Dana 35 and Axle Install with Detroit

UtahFire

I busted my axle last week in Moab with my week little D35. I'm going down again tomorrow but with a spare set of axles this time. I have replaced an axle in an open carrier but I now have a Detroit in the rear. How does the c-clip removal and replacement work with the Detroit?

Thanks in advance...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
All of the C lockers are like this:
detroit_c_locker.jpg

Remove the bolt, the pin comes out and then you can pull clips etc.

UtahFire

One more question please...will I need to remove the bearing cap on the right side to get the retainer bolt out?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
One more question please...will I need to remove the bearing cap on the right side to get the retainer bolt out?

I don't remember. It's been a while since I've put/worked on a D35 with a Detroit. Open it up and get to work. Even if you do it's no big deal. It's not like taking the one carrier cap off will screw up your gears/locker install. Just make sure you know which was is up on the cap when you put it back in.

Most Dana axles will be stamped on the gasket surface and the cap with an M or something. One side will be a M and the other side will be a lazy M (sideways). The stamp is always to the top of the cap/diff by the upper bolt. If it's there, it's marked already. If it's not, then mark it with a punch. One side I put one dot and the other I put two - might as well mark both sides now. Put the dot on the top of the carrier cap and just to the side of it in the middle of the gasket surface.