Dana 35, lockers, 35" tires - Anyone have this set-up/

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I don't have exactly what you're talking about, but if you have the stock D35 axles, you're pushing your luck with 35" tires. Of course, if you never go off road, it won't be a problem, but you will end up breaking one of your stock axleshafts if you wheel hard with the stock D35 and 35" tires.

I know of a couple of people who have had this setup and each one of them purchased extra axleshafts and carried everything they needed cause they knew the inevitability of the D35 breakage.

See medsker's post on the super 35 kit for some additional comments about options for the D35. I suggest you spend the money to upgrade your axle if you're planning on wheeling it hard.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=55683#post55683

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I wheel with a WJ that has 35's. He's broken his front 44 shafts and has twisted his rear 60 shafts.

stock axles = snap off road

Cody

ShortShaft

user
Vendor
For the cost of upgrading your D35 to a 'super' kit you could be into at least a D44. That is what I would recommend. Ask anyone that has gone through the build up process and you will get the same response. Keep in mind this is IMO, but I would NOT spend any money in building up a D35. you can pick up some spare shafts just about anywhere for just about nothing. run what you've got until you can afford more, just don't put money into building it up.

You'll loose money in the long run if you do.
good luck.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by GroceryGetter
I wheel with a WJ that has 35's. He's broken his front 44 shafts and has twisted his rear 60 shafts.

Cody

Gee, I wonder who that is????? :D {silly limo drivers, anyway}

I wouldn't put a lot of money into the D35. Hopefully your tracklock will function OK with that big of tires 'cause I wouldn't lock it up. Carry spare parts (including a housing) if you wheel with the D35.....

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Originally posted by GroceryGetter

Cody

Sounds like a moron to me :rolleyes:

Must be the same idiot who broke two 242 main shafts in half in 3 weeks :D

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Like everyone else has said, you're going to break an axle shaft. Not if, but when. Ford 8.8" are even cheaper than D44s, from what I could find anyway, and they're very simple to set up. I broke two D35s, one with a locker, the other one open, on 33's. I would look into a better axle before locking stuff up. My opinion...
Devin

addifan

I am not exactly sure what axel shafts are. But with this set up does it make any difference if I am upgrading my drive lines and re-gearing?

Last edited:

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
Axle shafts are what transfers the power from the differential to the wheels. They are inside the rear axle housing. Upgrading your drive lines and re-gearing won't stop you from breaking the axle shafts.

xjc

I give up :(
yup, and when it brakes in a C-clip axle (like yours) there is nothing to keep it in so your tire and axle will just wander out. Kinda scary. :D

I have a locker that would probably work for you, I emailed ya.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
I have a buddy with a TJ. 35's and the dana 35. He has broken 2 axleshafts and he is even open! In Moab on Poison Spider was the first breakdown. Second breakdown was in corner canyon in a mud puddle... HE HE. Mud! :D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by xjc
yup, and when it brakes in a C-clip axle (like yours) there is nothing to keep it in so your tire and axle will just wander out. Kinda scary. :D

I have a locker that would probably work for you, I emailed ya.

I don't think I'll be driving far on a semi-float axle, though. I don't know of many 'spare' D44 XJ housings around that I could swap out after the axle 'stub' had wallowed around in the housing for a mile or two.

The retainer plate will probably let me get off an obstacle with a little grace, though, rather than have to do a 'Kurt' halfway up something. :D :D {good times}