DANA 35 questions! Super 35

One_bad_YJ

I have a 90 yj, with 4.56 gears in a stock rear.

I just bought a set of super 35 axles, and a lockright for the 30 spline super 35 stuff. GOT IT CHEAP

Now that I have seen the axles, I have a feeling I need to get a whole new rear end for the super stuff is this true, or can I slide my new axles in and go??

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
One_bad_YJ said:
I have a 90 yj, with 4.56 gears in a stock rear.

I just bought a set of super 35 axles, and a lockright for the 30 spline super 35 stuff. GOT IT CHEAP

Now that I have seen the axles, I have a feeling I need to get a whole new rear end for the super stuff is this true, or can I slide my new axles in and go??

Honestly... why not resell the super kit and get a non C-clip axle. Getting stranded with your tire falling out doesn't sound like any fun to me. Just a suggestion. Even if the shafts are strong and it has more splines the axle tubes themselves and the differential aren't that strong.

If this is the route you are determined to go then power to ya and good luck. Just some friendly advice.

Andrew

I have close to 100 pics of D35 breakage if you don't believe me that they are weak. ;)

One_bad_YJ

Well I just need to get a lockright in for now- The Dana 35 will hold up great for what I intent to do with the jeep for now- After I swap to a v8, I am doing an 8.8- This is a temporary fix- which is why I bought a used lockright and axles-

The question is WILL THE SUPER 35 STUFF FIT IN MY STOCK CARRIER? O ro do I need a super 35 carrier to allow for the larger axles?

SnwMnkys

I cant answer your question, but if it happens not to fit, ive got a brand new Super 35 Detroit locker i need to get rid of.

y-jake

do you hate heavy duty axles?
8.8 is marginally stronger than a d35 and it is still a c-clip axle.

with a v8, that rear axle is a grenade with the pin already pulled! :rofl:

kyojin

y-jake said:
do you hate heavy duty axles?
8.8 is marginally stronger than a d35 and it is still a c-clip axle.

with a v8, that rear axle is a grenade with the pin already pulled! :rofl:

Axle shaft Strength and output torque rating by Warn and 4 Wheeler

The axle shaft strength tested by Warn Ind:
F8.8= 6,500 (lb. ft.)
D44= 4,600-5,000 (lb. ft.)
D35C= 4,000-4,300 (lb. ft.)
-------------------------------
COT: Continuous output torque rating
MOT: Maximum output torque rating

(Numbers from January edition of Fourwheeler, page 60.)
Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480
Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460
Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600
Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100
Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500]

An 31 spline 8.8 is much stronger than a D35. Almost everyone who does 8.8 swaps gets the newer disc brake equipped axle which will hold the axle if the c-clip brakes. Then again how many 8.8 failures do you hear about that the c-clip was the culprit?

y-jake

talk numbers all you want, give me a jeep with a v8 or a I6 and an 8.8 and i'll break it no sweat

kyojin

y-jake said:
talk numbers all you want, give me a jeep with a v8 or a I6 and an 8.8 and i'll break it no sweat

Yeah thats a great point :rolleyes: Too much gas and stupid driving can break any axle. Your comment on how an 8.8 is only marginally stronger than a D35 is crap. A 31 spline 8.8 is stronger than a D44. Given your logic then a D44 is only slightly stronger than a D35 :rofl:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
OK....I can not resist, though I really tried ;)

The problem with the 8.8 (unless a c-clip elim is used) is that the axle shaft is the inner race of the bearing (same as 35, 10B, 12B, 14B9.5 etc).
This is a problem esspecially with larger tires because the rollers of the bearing ride on the shaft. With the increased load of the tires, there is more leverage, and more heat created. Often this wears a grove in the bearing. It can also lead to heat related failures, and effect the heat treating of the shaft. When a bearing goes bad it almost always ruins the shaft as well.
(for those that don't know. The bearing in a 9", 44, and 60 semi-float are retained on the shaft by a press fit and a back up press fit ring. The bearing has and inner and outer race. Most often a bad bearing will not harm the shaft.)

So yes, in theory and based on shear breaking torque load, and 8.8 is stronger. But in my OPINION, in the real world application I would rather run a 44 any day. But, that is my OPINION, so take it for what it is worth.

ewander

One_bad_YJ said:
Well I just need to get a lockright in for now- The Dana 35 will hold up great for what I intent to do with the jeep for now- After I swap to a v8, I am doing an 8.8- This is a temporary fix- which is why I bought a used lockright and axles-

The question is WILL THE SUPER 35 STUFF FIT IN MY STOCK CARRIER? O ro do I need a super 35 carrier to allow for the larger axles?

You will be fine with that set up, install away! You won't break one of those shafts either. I have a buddy that wheels hard and has never broken one (he has broken everything else).

The 8.8 will definitely hold up behind V8 power. Hot rodders have been doing it for years........

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
rckcrlr said:
OK....I can not resist, though I really tried ;)

The problem with the 8.8 (unless a c-clip elim is used) is that the axle shaft is the inner race of the bearing (same as 35, 10B, 12B, 14B9.5 etc).
This is a problem esspecially with larger tires because the rollers of the bearing ride on the shaft. With the increased load of the tires, there is more leverage, and more heat created. Often this wears a grove in the bearing. It can also lead to heat related failures, and effect the heat treating of the shaft. When a bearing goes bad it almost always ruins the shaft as well.
(for those that don't know. The bearing in a 9", 44, and 60 semi-float are retained on the shaft by a press fit and a back up press fit ring. The bearing has and inner and outer race. Most often a bad bearing will not harm the shaft.)

So yes, in theory and based on shear breaking torque load, and 8.8 is stronger. But in my OPINION, in the real world application I would rather run a 44 any day. But, that is my OPINION, so take it for what it is worth.

I have always wondered why the wheel bearing problem with the C clip is almost never brought up. You forgot to mention the ability of a tapered roller bearing to handle side load, an ability the strait roller used by Cclip axles can never do.

jrpcinders

super 35

You have a yj and I think that you would be happier if you would run a 14 bolt and have it narrowed. You you be in it about the same money as the 8.8 and you will have hard enough time breaking it. I would do some searching and figure out what you want to do with your jeep. If you trailer it to the trail and not drive it on the street then or if you drive it everyday. All I am saying is don't keep spending money upgrading it, do it right the first time then you will be dollars ahead. That is my two cents.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
kyojin said:
Yeah thats a great point :rolleyes: Too much gas and stupid driving can break any axle. Your comment on how an 8.8 is only marginally stronger than a D35 is crap. A 31 spline 8.8 is stronger than a D44. Given your logic then a D44 is only slightly stronger than a D35 :rofl:

sounds like you are the "proud" owner of an 8.8 to me.

like marc i would take a d44 anyday, hell i did take a d44 over the 8.8 and it has taken all of my abuse.
and while you say a 31 spline 8.8 is stronger than a 30 spline 44, lets see who is happier when the shaft does actually break :eek:
i'll be fixing mine while you chase yours down the hill :rofl:

what is the point of an 8.8 when you could get a 9"
a lot of people want the smaller lug pattern, and the 9" has it too :hickey:
shall we argue how much better the 9" is?

and also, you say Too much gas and stupid driving can break any axle. well i don't know about you but i want an axle that can take all that i dish out! i have been on some obstacles that take some skinny pedal and bumping, they are unavoidable if you are truly hardcore :D

kyojin

xj_punk said:
sounds like you are the "proud" owner of an 8.8 to me.

like marc i would take a d44 anyday, hell i did take a d44 over the 8.8 and it has taken all of my abuse.
and while you say a 31 spline 8.8 is stronger than a 30 spline 44, lets see who is happier when the shaft does actually break :eek:
i'll be fixing mine while you chase yours down the hill :rofl:

what is the point of an 8.8 when you could get a 9"
a lot of people want the smaller lug pattern, and the 9" has it too :hickey:
shall we argue how much better the 9" is?

and also, you say Too much gas and stupid driving can break any axle. well i don't know about you but i want an axle that can take all that i dish out! i have been on some obstacles that take some skinny pedal and bumping, they are unavoidable if you are truly hardcore :D

I am the proud owner of an 8.8. If my shaft does break glad I won't be chasing it down the hill because of my disc brakes. The original poster talked about getting an 8.8 when he does his V8 swap. Another poster claimed that the 8.8 was only marginally stronger than a D35. What do you think about that? 8.8 vs. D44 can be debated all day long. both have their pros and cons.

I'm not hardcore enough yet that I've had to really get on the gas. When that time comes I trust that my 8.8 won't let me down.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The SIMPLE solution to all of this is put 9" bearings on the 8.8 axle. Done! Then you have an axle that will rival a D60 in strength and put a D30, D35 and D44 to shame. It's easily done. Most speedshops even have the parts!

Bottom line, save your money, sell the Super D35 stuff you just bought and do it right the first time. D35's aren't worth the time you are taking asking the questions, IMHO. This I know we can all agree on!

Ok.. Now everyone can bash me for saying an 8.8 can even come CLOSE (not the same) to rivaling a D60...

utahusker

Beatin'-The-Junk
waynehartwig said:
The SIMPLE solution to all of this is put 9" bearings on the 8.8 axle. Done! Then you have an axle that will rival a D60 in strength and put a D30, D35 and D44 to shame. It's easily done. Most speedshops even have the parts!

Bottom line, save your money, sell the Super D35 stuff you just bought and do it right the first time. D35's aren't worth the time you are taking asking the questions, IMHO. This I know we can all agree on!

Ok.. Now everyone can bash me for saying an 8.8 can even come CLOSE (not the same) to rivaling a D60...
No bashing here, that's what I run with Moser's and no breakage. But i'm only on 35's.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
waynehartwig said:
The SIMPLE solution to all of this...

the simple solution to all of this would be to get a 9" or a 60 or a 14 bolt. how much more will it cost really? what is the point of building an axle to handle bigger tires/more power when you can buy one from a junkyard that is ample or even "overkill" for your setup?
it will open up a lot of options.

then again if you are worried about finding something with a small lug pattern then chances are you still have a d30 up front that you are trying to match, and that is a whole world of problems :D