Dana 44 Brakes

Broken

I have tried everyyear and every style of caliper to fit my 3/4 ton Ford (driver side drop) Dana 44. And everyone seems to hit the knuckle with the piston. The 2 piston caliper is not even close. This axle was mixed and matches when I got it and I don't know what's up. It seems to have a Ford style backing plate and spindle but I don't know what caliper it is supposed to take. Any ideas.

53 willys

Bad speller
it should take the big caliper that looks nothing like the chevy ones.

I thought they came with two styles the big 2 or 4 piston caliper and the small chevy looking type.

can you post up pic's?

If it has 15" rim you will have to grind the caliper bracket on the axle to get it to fit.

pic's would help a lot more so we know what your talking about for sure.

Last edited:

sbr

Pics

let me know if you need more

100%5F0537.jpg

100%5F0538.jpg

100%5F0543.jpg

100%5F0544.jpg

100%5F0546.jpg

100%5F0548.jpg

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Looks like you have half ton Hubs rotors and caliper mounting brackets and what looks like 3/4 ton knuckles. You will not get that combo to work. You will have to go all 3/4 ton or all 1/2 ton if you want to use all ford parts. If you need to stay with flat tops your best bet may be to go with chevy knuckles, spindles, and brakes and use ford hubs. There are 1/2ton Ford flat top knuckles but as far as I know they only came in late 70s extra cab 1/2tons and are rare. I have also heard about one of the aftermarket manufacturers making one now so check that out too.

53 willys

Bad speller
This is what it looks like to me.

1/2 ton caliper

1/2 ton rotor and hub

3/4 ton caliper mount

That caliper mount is the same as my dads 79 3/4 ton ford axle.

I can take a pic of my dads and show you what 3/4 ton should look like.

sbr

ya I just threw that caliper on to take the picture it is for the other side I know. Anyone know where I can get some flat top knuckles for a 1/2 ton I have 3/4 ton all ready drilled and tapped I will be willing to trade.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
53 willys said:
This is what it looks like to me.

1/2 ton caliper

1/2 ton rotor and hub

3/4 ton caliper mount

That caliper mount is the same as my dads 79 3/4 ton ford axle.

I can take a pic of my dads and show you what 3/4 ton should look like.

If they were 3/4ton caliper mounts the calipers would clear the 3/4ton knuckles.

Last edited:

53 willys

Bad speller
bobdog said:
If they were 3/4ton caliper mounts the calipers would clear the 3/4ton knuckles.

No because it's not a 3/4 caliper in the pic that is a half ton caliper.

This is a 1/2 Ton caliper.

Attachments

• 100%5F0548.jpg
    100%5F0548.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

53 willys

Bad speller
here is shot of a 79 ford 3/4 ton 44. This is the caliper yours would take with the mount you have.

Attachments

• DSC_00092.JPG
    DSC_00092.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 7