dana 44 help

johndoe508

pebble hopper
I am helping a friend put a scout dana 44 in the front of his CJ-7 and need some help on how much pinion angle is too much on the dana 44. He is putting 4" lift springs on top of a spring over. we are moving the leaf springs out on the side of the frame for room. But I wasnt sure how much angle you can tilt the axle assembly :confused: Oh we are going to cut the "c" and roll the caster angle.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
As long as you are rotating the c's, you should be fine. 4" on a spring over? Kinda, 'Massey'...

The only problems you would have are oiling issues, which in your situation would be remedied by overfilling the housing.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Am I missing something? If you are going to cut the C's to set caster angle. Can't you just set the pinion angle where it needs to be. And set the caster angle to where it needs to be and weld it back together? I would not think that oiling would be an issue.

johndoe508

pebble hopper
Well that was what I was worried about. If the bearings on the pinion would be getting oiled enough but I think we figured how much to overfill it. Just have to keep him on top of it being full.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The front D44, unless it's reverse, doesn't lube as well as a rear D44 does. The rear has the ring gear to 'pump' oil into the pinion bearing area and on the front it doesn't have that, so it relies more on being full and oil being slung around.

If you take the cover off, you can see where the oil passage on the bottom has been blocked off, and where the top is open. I've never tried it (obviously though about it, though), but you could probably open that hole up a little bit so that the ring gear will 'pump' the pinion bearing cavity full.

78mitsu

waynehartwig said:
The front D44, unless it's reverse, doesn't lube as well as a rear D44 does. The rear has the ring gear to 'pump' oil into the pinion bearing area and on the front it doesn't have that, so it relies more on being full and oil being slung around.

If you take the cover off, you can see where the oil passage on the bottom has been blocked off, and where the top is open. I've never tried it (obviously though about it, though), but you could probably open that hole up a little bit so that the ring gear will 'pump' the pinion bearing cavity full.

except isn't the ring gear turning the wrong direction. I thought it was blocked off on a front so it wouldn't pull the oil out of the pinion bearings.

Caleb

Herzog said:
As long as you are rotating the c's, you should be fine. 4" on a spring over? Kinda, 'Massey'...

The only problems you would have are oiling issues, which in your situation would be remedied by overfilling the housing.
:rofl: I haven't heard the term 'Massey' for quite some time :p

cambam

That IS going to be tall. My springs are stock yj springs, ad I thought I was big. This thing is going to be HUGE. What size tires are you going to run?

O'neal

?????????
My buddy & I just got done putting scout 44's SPOA under his old jeepster using mild lift front's out of a chev from the boneyard with a full width kit from a company I cant remember now:rolleyes: .Kept the pinion in the stock location and did no work to the axle housing beside's putting perch's on.It ride's on 35's with slight trimming to the rear wheelwell's and run's smooth as silk down the highway.The only thing that make's us worry is how the front d-shaft is,it hang's down just a tad low......

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
78mitsu said:
except isn't the ring gear turning the wrong direction. I thought it was blocked off on a front so it wouldn't pull the oil out of the pinion bearings.
THat's the rear that would do that...The front would push oil in there, unless you were driving backwards. ;)