Dana 44 Manual hub conversions

chadr

What conversions do they make to convert full time hubs to Manual (locking) hubs? The Wagoneer axle that I have has the full time in it now and I will probably be putting new rotors and calipers on it to get it up and running and figured that I could probably save me the hastle by putting the hubs in now.

Any suggestions?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
It's pretty easy, just look up the Warn hub conversion part number and go to any local parts store that stocks them.

Go with the premium hubs, as they have a life-time warranty.

chadr

I might have some warn ones if you are interested and if they are the right ones.

I am still looking for the part numbers that go with my axles. I thought that I could find it on Warn's web site, but am having troubles with it.

What would you want for them if you were to sell them? Are they new or used? PM me and we can talk.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I'm pretty sure they're just the generic hubs for pretty much any D44 axle.

And I was told my Kevin at Six States in Orem that the premiums they sell come back all the time while they hardly see any of the cheaper ones.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I am still looking for the part numbers that go with my axles. I thought that I could find it on Warn's web site, but am having troubles with it.

What year is your Wagoneer D44? If it's 1980 + I'll get you the part number that I used.

chadr

What year is your Wagoneer D44? If it's 1980 + I'll get you the part number that I used.

The axles that I have are out of a 79 Cherokee Chief which are supposed to be the same as the Grand Wagoneer. I don't know if they are the same as the 80+ models or not.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm willing to bet the Warn Hub Part # is: 20990 if your outers are 19 spline.

Your axle currently has full time drive flanges with a chrome cap, right?

chadr

Yes. Not a very good picture of it but this is the one I have.

ax-cropped.jpg

I have a lot to work on as you can see. :eek:

Meat_

Banned

And I was told my Kevin at Six States in Orem that the premiums they sell come back all the time while they hardly see any of the cheaper ones.

That's because the people who buy premiums use them, the people who buy the cheaper ones drive around in 2wd.

chadr

That's because the people who buy premiums use them, the people who buy the cheaper ones drive around in 2wd.

:D

Premium hubs have lifetime warranty? That would be awesome!!! I should buy an extra set for when I grenade them so I can take them back when I get off the trail.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
:D

Premium hubs have lifetime warranty? That would be awesome!!! I should buy an extra set for when I grenade them so I can take them back when I get off the trail.

Yes, and I carry an extra set as well.

I was blowing them up left and right while my front was welded. Now that my locker is back in, not so much of a big deal. :)

chadr

When I look this up, I get basically the hub and that is all. Is there a kit that is associated with it that has the complete kit that converts it all or is this it? :confused:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
When I look this up, I get basically the hub and that is all. Is there a kit that is associated with it that has the complete kit that converts it all or is this it? :confused:

Basically it comes with an internal hub assembly, some c-clips, and an outer cap with the full-turn hub dial that screw in with 6 small bolts. And that's all you need. Each kit comes with 2 hubs.

thenag

If the cheaper ones don't have a warranty there is no reason for them to come back right?

If it is just a d44 hub you can go to any u-pull it in the valley and snag tons of them for cheap. maybe buy a set of warn premiums for the axle and snag a couple from a yard for trail spares.

I was leading a bronco across golden crack, heard a loud bang, looked at the truck I was elated to realize it was only a hub that blew apart, but then he told me he didn't have a spare, my d60 spare hub wouldn't fit so we had to wait for a group of jeeps and he bought a spare off of one of those guys, I have thought about carrying a d44 hub, even though it won't do me any good, just so I can give it out on the trail.

nag
- "6500lbs of American Pride"

chadr

If the cheaper ones don't have a warranty there is no reason for them to come back right?

If it is just a d44 hub you can go to any u-pull it in the valley and snag tons of them for cheap. maybe buy a set of warn premiums for the axle and snag a couple from a yard for trail spares.

I was leading a bronco across golden crack, heard a loud bang, looked at the truck I was elated to realize it was only a hub that blew apart, but then he told me he didn't have a spare, my d60 spare hub wouldn't fit so we had to wait for a group of jeeps and he bought a spare off of one of those guys, I have thought about carrying a d44 hub, even though it won't do me any good, just so I can give it out on the trail.

nag
- "6500lbs of American Pride"

That's a good point! Just carry a cheapo on the trail to get you home to save the expense.