DANA 44 or 10 BOLT that is the question?

Which axle is stronger? The DANA44 or teh 10 BOLT

• DANA 44

Votes: 17 100.0%
  • 10 BOLT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koonsdawg

Which axle is stronger? The famous DANA 44 or the 10 BOLT? I have heard mixed reviews about this and it is time to set the record straight. It seems like it depends on who you talk to, but I keep hearing that the 10 BOLT is stronger, is that true? If so why does everyone want a DANA 44?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The 44 is stronger for sure. Not by much though. 44 has a slightly larger shaft at the splines. In general 44s will have thicker tubes than the 10 (many 1/2ton 44s even have 1/2" tubes) I have never heard of any reason why the 10bolt would be better in any way.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Only claims I've heard that the 10 bolt is stronger come from Chevy owners, usually the guys running 38s on their show truck with a chrome diff. :rolleyes:

well... that's a loaded question! trying to start another BB battle ? :D

d44s are known for their ability to withstand moderate use- just ask anyone with a modified bronco how "weak" they are! I had, until it was stolen 3 years ago, a '79 f250 supercab 4x4 with a 460, d44HD, d60 rear. my dad gave it to me new as a graduation present and I wheeled it all thru nor-cal, soCal, and lots of other places on hunting trips far and wide-Never any problems. Put a detroit in there back in '82 and it never got opened up again other than oil changes.

The 10 bolt is basically GM's licensed/unlicensed copy of the d44.
Why do I say it's a copy? According to any knowledgeable 4x4 shop, up to 85% of the parts from a d44 will interchange with a 10 bolt, and vice- versa.And I know this for a fact, as I am currently doing such an interchange of parts with the help of six states distributors in Ogden.

The reality of the axle tube thickness issue is that when comparing apples to apples, D44 axle tubes are ALMOST always thicker than a 10 bolt for a given application.

Now, having said all that, would I use a 10 bolt? Probably not. I can say with all confidence that Dana/ Spicer built D44s strong enough to be used with long-term success in 1-ton trucks. To the best of my knowledge, GM never equipped their commercial or heavy duty trucks with 10 bolts. That says much about strength right there!

But then again, the choice will be yours.
And remember, if you use the 10 bolt, don't forget my user name... we're in the yellow pages!!! :suka:

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
bobdog said:
The 44 is stronger for sure. Not by much though. 44 has a slightly larger shaft at the splines. In general 44s will have thicker tubes than the 10 (many 1/2ton 44s even have 1/2" tubes) I have never heard of any reason why the 10bolt would be better in any way.
I agree with Bobdog.

tuck

spud crawler
Both axles suck equally...

I have a 10 bolt.. and I'd rather have it than a dana 44, and here's why..

You can pay $300-500 for a dana 44 and get a 10 bolt for free-$250... both have the same gear ratios, same brakes, same locking hubs, same ball joints, same outer axle shafts... and both are going to break (identical) u-joints before anything else...

so what are you paying more for? something that isn't an issue.. that's what.

i think the 10 bolt tubes are the same in 1/2 and 3/4 ton applications.. dana 44's vary... and I'm not certain that the 44 is ever thicker...

they're pretty much the same thing.. but one is cheaper to buy, and cheaper to get parts for...

if you like spending money, get the dana 44...

both axles are at breaking point with 35's..

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
tuck said:
Both axles suck equally...

I have a 10 bolt.. and I'd rather have it than a dana 44, and here's why..

You can pay $300-500 for a dana 44 and get a 10 bolt for free-$250... both have the same gear ratios, same brakes, same locking hubs, same ball joints, same outer axle shafts... and both are going to break (identical) u-joints before anything else...

so what are you paying more for? something that isn't an issue.. that's what.

i think the 10 bolt tubes are the same in 1/2 and 3/4 ton applications.. dana 44's vary... and I'm not certain that the 44 is ever thicker...

they're pretty much the same thing.. but one is cheaper to buy, and cheaper to get parts for...

if you like spending money, get the dana 44...

both axles are at breaking point with 35's..

44s- Jeep, Chevy or Ford are easily found for $150. If you are paying 500 I will sell you as many as you want. Parts are cheaper for 44s. A quick scan of magazine ads shows that 10 bolt ring and pinions cost about $20 more than 44 gears and the instal kits are also slightly more. The tubes are not the same, 1/2ton 44 can be had with 1/2" thick tubes you will not see that with 10 bolts. Locker availability is better for 44s and I would think more gear ratios are available. What is the availability of aftermarket shafts for the 10 bolt? One big advantage to the 44 that has not been brought up in this thread is Flattop knuckles. Most Chevy 44s will have them on both sides while the 10bolt will never have pass side flattops.

Caleb

bobdog said:
44s- Jeep, Chevy or Ford are easily found for $150. If you are paying 500 I will sell you as many as you want. Parts are cheaper for 44s. A quick scan of magazine ads shows that 10 bolt ring and pinions cost about $20 more than 44 gears and the instal kits are also slightly more. The tubes are not the same, 1/2ton 44 can be had with 1/2" thick tubes you will not see that with 10 bolts. Locker availability is better for 44s and I would think more gear ratios are available. What is the availability of aftermarket shafts for the 10 bolt? One big advantage to the 44 that has not been brought up in this thread is Flattop knuckles. Most Chevy 44s will have them on both sides while the 10bolt will never have pass side flattops.

I agree with bobdog totally...another advantage to the D44 IS the popularity...if you happen to break you are a lot more likely to find guys with spare D44 parts on the trail than spare 10 bolt parts:p

koonsdawg

This is all good informatin for the uneducated. It looks like the DANA 44 is the way to go. I guess I will be selling my 10 bolt locker and gears now. Thanks for the feedback guys.
-Brandon

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
koonsdawg said:
This is all good informatin for the uneducated. It looks like the DANA 44 is the way to go. I guess I will be selling my 10 bolt locker and gears now. Thanks for the feedback guys.
-Brandon

If you already have gears and lockers for the 10bolt keep it. The 44 is not that much better. I you did not already have the 10 bolt a 44 would be worth looking for over the 10 but I would not go out of my way to replace the 10.

tuck

spud crawler
this was the point I was trying to make..

in regards to front axles, the 10 bolt and 44 are so similar that there is virtually no strength difference... and you obviously want the cheaper of the two (if you wanted to spend money you'd get a 60)....

so for me, it was the 10 bolt.. sounds like these guys can get dana 44 fronts for cheaper than I could.. people literally give away 10 bolt parts..

personally, i wouldn't spend a dollar more for a dana 44 unless i had a line on lockers or gears for it..

koonsdawg

That is my dilema (sp) I got a good deal on a Detroit Trutrac for the 10 bolt and it came with 4:56 gears. That's why I am trying to decide what to do.
Thanks,
Brandon

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Wait disregard my last post. Don't buy a 10 bolt. Sell the tru trac and buy a 44 then put a true locker in and you will be much happier in the end.