Dana 44 power transfer Loss

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
V-stone, just a few words of advice for you.

Listen to what Ilean has said, he knows what he's doing. All the other information posted is 100% wrong. :rolleyes:

So this is a 100% wrong:) http://www.differentials.com/install.html

And i was wrong about the pinion preload not everything else but, that is how i did it before and it worked beautifully for me.
I was trying to help as Ilean is doing as well that is the point of a forum to gather everyones knowledge and experiences to get the best source.
What are you trying to do BCGPER, besides Spam forum with bashing everyone?:confused:

Bart

I don't know the whole story, but I think the guy that sold it to you and knew you'd be driving it home like that with no fluid in the diff ought to be strung up. That is not cool. I've driven a long way on front only and not had those problems. Hope your bearing races are okay. BTW, you are braver than I am setting those up by yourself. Good luck.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Spammer??? You crack me up, like playing with one of my grandkids. If you're a dumbass, yeah I'll call you out.

I'll conceed, and say 90% since that was an actual link (with no usefull information). Dunno what a "gauge" is, I'm kinda old school and prefer a DIAL INDICATOR. I'll call you out to show me ONE axle that asks for a 0.125 backlash (you know what that is don't you?). Tractor, ore hauler, or whatever. Call me out, I've been doing this since before you were a twinge in your daddy's sack.

If you're going to to help someone, know what you speak of. Otherwise, just STFU. There are people here that know how, and will help. You, on the otherhand don't have a clue. Some of these guys really want to learn, compared to you who knows all about everything. So yeah, I'll post up now and then about the few things I do know of, otherwise I'm pretty quiet. So, I guess I'm a spammer (Greg, where's my kickback)?

Oh, and to the OP, I'l help you do it properly in a couple weeks when I get back from Johnson Valley if you're ready. PM me.

If your doing it with out a gauge for back lash then it's all feel. As far as installing the pinion goes make the nut tight enough so teh yoke has just a tiny little bit of movement in and out. When setting the backlash on the pinion to ring gear contact, adjust it so there is about a 1/8 inch play back and forth or use gear paint and make sure the contact is even. If you set it up wrong it will make a really bad noie and you'll know, but other than that heres a good link for setting them up http://www.differentials.com/install.html good luck let us know how it goes

iamsparticus

Oh no someone pulled a "im older than you" i havnt heard that since i was in grade school in the late 80's . Your right BCGPER i should just stop posting i havent been wheeling and working on cars for more than 20 years like you maybe you can start sharing your large store of knowledge instead. It would be better than possibly being wrong sometimes, and you said it i have no idea what im doing thanks for the personal insite

I think this needs to go back to the topic on hand instead of a head butting war
Good info is that every site i checked said backlash is .012 to .015 so that i might help i was off at .125

Last edited:

v-stone

Awesome! Thanks for the pointers.
I've been thinking about about putting the wheels back on without the axle shafts and driving it to a shop to let them set up the gears but I'll give it a good go first.

v-stone

Thought I would share a picture of what the old pinion looks like. You can see the gear is completely smooth and the heat marks going up the shaft.

Attachments

• CIMG5507.JPG
    CIMG5507.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

v-stone

Spent most of the day working on it and I'm almost back to the point where I started. The pinion is set and has less than a 1/32" movement, I've destroyed one bearing for the carrier and discovered that the carrier I just reinstalled the lockrite into is the wrong one.

Does anyone know what the markings are for a carrier using 3.54 gears?

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
THANK you so much BCGPER for setting him straight (no offense SPARTICUS19). I was reading the thread from the beginning and wanted to throw up when he started using fraction to set up a RP.

BY THE WAY V-STONE there should be NO movement on the pinion as far as in and out. i mean NONE!! at all. THE pinion preload is measured in inch/LBS of torque it takes to twist the pinion itself.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Any slack in the pinion in and out will cause pinion deflection off the ring gear resulting in worn bearings, chewed up teeth, pinion seal leaks.

ALSO! gear paint is used to measure pinion depth. not backlash by anymeans.

SORRY if i have affended any one. i set RP up regularly and am ASE certified to do so.

PM me if you have any questions on setting up RP.

Last edited:

iamsparticus

No offense taken yroc fab i was wrong on that, ill take constructive ctritizism i was remembering wrong on what someone had shown me but now that i went and checked mine there is no play but like i said i was wrong on the pinion preload thanks for the professional side imput

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
that is correct YROC I just set up my axles and IIRC i set pinion preload to 8inch pounds and backlash to .008 measured off the ring gear