Dana 44 Rear Disk Brakes

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
You could just steel their design for the bracket, they give you the measurements. It is the calipers that cost if you want an ebrake. But I still think it is a cheap way to go. Ez has this on his jeep

jp008

Copied from the pirate board.

I know you don't run waggy's but this should give you an idea.

Copied: cheap wag-0-nner rear disc.............use front calipers..........96 tahoo rotors...............and pre 76 gm caliper mounts from speedway.com.......weld and go.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
AA Manufacturing makes he weld-on GM caliper brackets...

For cruisers it is fairly simple...

Remove the drum/hardware
remove backing plate
install longer backing plate
install chevey truck rotors (4wd)
Fab up caliper mounts on axle/weld...

Not sure on the D44 but I'm sure its just as easy...

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
cruiseroutfit said:
AA Manufacturing makes he weld-on GM caliper brackets...

For cruisers it is fairly simple...

Remove the drum/hardware
remove backing plate
install longer backing plate
install chevey truck rotors (4wd)
Fab up caliper mounts on axle/weld...

Not sure on the D44 but I'm sure its just as easy...

Ya, I did the Cruiser disk from TSM and paid out the a.. for it.

JP has almost what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Done several with the AA brackets and frt gm calipers. Pretty easy. I would like to see the tahoe rotors, I have used gm and ford frt rotor, just have to machine the outside of the axle flange down so the rotor will fit over it. Or you can use frt studs, drill the axle flange out and put the rotors on the back side of the flange.

chadbuckner

Oh what a feeling..Toyota
Shawn said:
I add it up to around $500.00....

I'm into my 14 bolt disks about $150.00...
Where and what parts did you buy that made it so cheap? I am looking to put a C&C 14bolt in my toy and want to do disks.....guess I gotta find the axle first though.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Shawn,
I did disc brakes on a scout rear 44 a couple of years back and it works great. I don't have a e-brake though. :eek:

If you haven't figured it out all the details yet PM me and I will send you the models and years of all of parts for the "KIT"

Broncoman

disc rears

brackets for chevy calipers are available from mcnees' in slc on 300 west .. about $12.50 each and they just weld to the axle housing . then just use a front disc fit to the rear axle. can be done for under $100.00

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Back from the dead...

After pricing out drums I think I need to do disks. I'm going to Mcnees to get the brackets, What year and Car did GM make a 5 on 51/2 lug pattern or is there another, Ford I know does any spec on this? If I remember,,, the GC calipers were like 1977ish GM car... right?

Thanks,

I need to get this done ASAP so the more Detailed info you can help me with the easier my life is.

THANKS!!!!

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Shawn,
I just used ford 1/2 ton rotors and machined down the flange so the rotor will fit over it.

you will need to do this first so you can line up where to mount the bracket for the caliper...

If you have any other questions let me know...

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Jinx said:
Shawn,
I just used ford 1/2 ton rotors and machined down the flange so the rotor will fit over it.

you will need to do this first so you can line up where to mount the bracket for the caliper...

If you have any other questions let me know...
The flange on the shaft? Or make the hole in the rotor larger?