Dana 60, 70, 61?

4x4phil

I don't know the difference visually or mechanically from the Dana 60 to the Dana 70. And I just read about a dana 61 that according to the article is pretty common. I didn't even know it existed. Some info on all three, how to tell them apart, what they came in, and the good and bad of each would be really cool. I think I've been seeing 70's or maybe 61's and thinking they were all 60's.

KToy

its stamped onto the differential

70r is a rear and 60f is front
cant remeber if its capitolized but its on the lower right hand side.

also the axle code could tell you.

4x4phil

Are there characteristics visually aside from the tag? Are 60 rears always full floating? I've always assumed that there was no such thing as a 70 front but I'm probably wrong about that too. And what the hell is a 61? I'm most curious about that. Educate me, I'm a sponge. And from now on I'll try not to ask more than 3 questions per post. :D

ace

Parts Collector
4x4phil said:
Are 60 rears always full floating? no.

I've always assumed that there was no such thing as a 70 front but I'm probably wrong about that too. There is a dana 70 front, though it is rare to find. This is what 35 spline outer shafts are intended for.

And what the hell is a 61? A 61 is "special" dana 60 diff intended for running higher gears

:D

way2nosty

the 61

the 61 is kind of rare, it is on two wheel drive chevys and some chevy wagons. I think there is one ford Variation, You can tell if you tear one down because the axles are only 1 5/16 not 1 1/2 and they are always partial floating. I can't say that I have ever seen a dana 61 front axle, they are for axle ratios 3.55 and up.

way2nosty there where dana 61 full floats, most the 61 is used in ford's and dodge, they where used for 3.55 and higher gears. they start at 3.07 and go to 3.31, theres not to much after market for them but they share the same 30 spline 1.375 axle as the 60.

as far as a dana 70 front, there where mostly found in dodge camper's and mid 70's dodge tow trucks, these ones are all open knuckles and very strong, bigger outer "C"s and 35 spline 1.5 outers ( this is why theres a spicer part number for the 35 spline outer axles ). the closed knuckles are the same inner 35 spline but small outers and a small u-joint, you can buy upgraded shafts for the closed 70 version, jason.

way2nosty

okay.

420willys said:
way2nosty there where dana 61 full floats, most the 61 is used in ford's and dodge, they where used for 3.55 and higher gears. they start at 3.07 and go to 3.31, theres not to much after market for them but they share the same 30 spline 1.375 axle as the 60.

as far as a dana 70 front, there where mostly found in dodge camper's and mid 70's dodge tow trucks, these ones are all open knuckles and very strong, bigger outer "C"s and 35 spline 1.5 outers ( this is why theres a spicer part number for the 35 spline outer axles ). the closed knuckles are the same inner 35 spline but small outers and a small u-joint, you can buy upgraded shafts for the closed 70 version, jason.

I was speaking more from my personal experience, I have worked on several of them, I have never seen a Full Floater 61, And I do have a partial floating rear 60 that I am putting into my rig, Most of the ones I have seen are 3.07 geared, but According to The Dana Bearing Book, they go from 2.07 to 3.55. But nobody wants them. And they were never used as a front axle, I have seen of D70 and even D80 Front ends.

Bud

'98 ZJ
ace said:
Randy's can get what you need for a 61, but it's a pain in the but dealing with it. There is a formed spot on the pumpkin cast that says 61. Gotta look HARD for it. I found one and bought it, not knowing, and proceeded to build it and non of my D-60 stuff was fitting. The R&P teeth wouldn't even touch moved all the way over. The pinion is just that much farther away in a 61....

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I didn't read through all the posts, but dodge made front 61s and there are full floating rear 61s also.