Dana 60 Bearing preload Diff covers.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Building new diffs. Any one ran the cover that preloads the bearing caps? Just wondering how it holds up to Rock bashing?
also Leaning towards a Billet Driver Cap and or ARP studs. Leaving the front alone this is just for the rear.
I just like to build it and forget about it. I get a little stupid in two wheel drive some times.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA%5F1812A

I run one of these on the front end of my street driven F350. I ran it on the back of my jeep years ago until wheel base stretch made it interfere with the tank. It is a very nice piece but I don't think it is the way to go if you are going to bash rocks with it. Very thick aluminum but still aluminum. They also sell ARP studs for the bearing caps a worthwhile and relatively cheap upgrade for any diff.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
One of the 4Wheel & Offroad guys ran one on one of the beater project trucks back when-- maybe that Ramcharger they tubbed for 42's?-- anyway I remember that they smashed the everloving hell out of the bolts and couldn't turn them, and it leaked. :D

Besides that, the preload ide'er is nice but... flexing the caps is less of a concern than flexing the ring gear. Just my opinion.. :D

neagtea

Supporting Member
I have just tore down quite a few that had spun the dr side bearing and need a little extra work.
Thanks taco.
I was wondering as some of the r club mafia ran them.

Bob,
Yes I installed a mark williams or summers I don't remember which drivers side cap in a drag car 60 without a line bore just a lot of measuring and some milling. I had no issues.
I am kind of a farmer fab type of guy though.