GMC / Chevy Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear for Blazer pricing

sled_guy

Ok, I ran in to an old friend today that is a mechanic. We got talking about my building a Chevy Blazer up for rock crawling and he offered up the followoing:

Dana 60 front axle completely gone through with new brakes
GM 14 bolt rear axle completely fresh with new brakes

410 gears
Neither has lockers and the rear is drum brakes.

Came off a 1988 Chevy 1 ton truck.

I can have everything for $800.

Seems like a no brainer for replacing the stock axles on the 87 Blazer.

Thoughts? What issues, additional things will I need to do to put them under my Blazer?

At the same time I'll do a lift... 4" I would think.

Thanks,
sled_guy

2INSANE

$400 a piece? Hmmm you might be able to find cheaper at a junk yard. If u can afford the $800 for both, I say do it:) If ur doing a rock crawler type blazer, I think at least 4.56 gears. Pending ur tire size? 4" lift is good! Lower the better! I think u should try a shackle flip in rear, go stock 56" or 64" springs in rear. Www.Diy4x.com is great for your suspension part needs. A stock 52" or 56" spring in front. With the b52 and beyond kit from www.diy4x.com. Arb front locker and a Detroit in rear? Disk brake conv on the 14 bolt. This should help get u started. :) glad to see another blazer builder! Here's a link to my build.

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=84856

Last edited by a moderator:

2INSANE

You will need to redue the 14 bolt spring perch for sure and longer driveshaft. The stock brake lines can be stretched out for the 4" lift. Or u can go ss braded lines.

2INSANE

For 800 for everything, but them now. figure out the rest later.

It will be one of ur best investments on your build! If they are indeed in great shape, I agree with chevycrew! Buy them ASAP!

4554x4

always modifing something
Buy them!

You will need to redue the 14 bolt spring perch for sure and longer driveshaft. The stock brake lines can be stretched out for the 4" lift. Or u can go ss braded lines.

Perches might be in the correct spot, but not always. front driveshaft will need to be shorter. (it may physically fit in there, but you must account for when the shaft is compressed. It may bottom out, possibly cracking your t-case)

I have a 4'' kit for ya. I also have a shackle flip, brand new!

2INSANE

Perches might be in the correct spot, but not always. front driveshaft will need to be shorter. (it may physically fit in there, but you must account for when the shaft is compressed. It may bottom out, possibly cracking your t-case)

I have a 4'' kit for ya. I also have a shackle flip, brand new!

Silly me... Your right! I forgot the 14 bolt thingy is longer. As I'm still new to the building:) Isn't it called yoke?

richpblaze

What junk yard do you shop at????

$400 a piece? Hmmm you might be able to find cheaper at a junk yard. If u can afford the $800 for both, I say do it:) If ur doing a rock crawler type blazer, I think at least 4.56 gears. Pending ur tire size? 4" lift is good! Lower the better! I think u should try a shackle flip in rear, go stock 56" or 64" springs in rear. Www.Diy4x.com is great for your suspension part needs. A stock 52" or 56" spring in front. With the b52 and beyond kit from www.diy4x.com. Arb front locker and a Detroit in rear? Disk brake conv on the 14 bolt. This should help get u started. :) glad to see another blazer builder! Here's a link to my build.

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=84856

Oh wait, I see boyce's, A 60 front will usually cost you around a grand just so you know.:eek: 800.00 for both is an awesome deal.

2INSANE

Oh wait, I see boyce's, A 60 front will usually cost you around a grand just so you know.:eek: 800.00 for both is an awesome deal.

Yea I paid a fortune for the Boyce's axles and don't regret it one bit:) I agree $800 for both is a killer deal if they are in good shape. I have however seen a few front Dana 60's under $400 on Ksl.com when I in the market for axles. But they were all beat up... My local junk yard told me they sell theirs for $300 in any condition if you are willing to pull them yourself. They quit assisting with a cutting torch... That was awhile ago though...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
FWIW I got my rusted-to-hell Hell 60 for $700, and the one I'm running now for $850-- BEFORE the rebuilds. The Hell 60 was right at $1250 in PARTS, and the current one still cost me about... oh, let's say about $1500 w/new rotors, hubs, tie-rod, etc etc.

$800 for two usable 1-tons is a deal.

kawzx10

800 is a steal I just paid 900 for my 14bolt/60 combo and I feel like I got a good deal. I did drive to colorado to get them though.

ALF

SURE!?
I paid $600 for my 60 but had to drive to Boise to get it although my gas and stay was paid for :) direct bolt in in a K5 although I had a 14 bolt out of a K5 i parted and used that drive line.

sled_guy

Ok, excellent info guys, thanks. My buddy is on vacation until Friday, I'll stop over then and make the deal.

sled_guy