Dana 60 Front Axle Seal

1993yj

I have a Dana 60 front out of a 78 Ford dually, and for the life of me I can't get the long side inner axle seal to live more than a few years. Short side never has issues. Been using the standard Dana Spicer 36487. Is there a better option out there? I would even take an outer seal at this point, but I haven't come across any for this application.

RockChucker

Is the seal surface on your axle shaft in good shape? Axle housing straight? I attempted to install the newer super duty 2 piece style seals in my housing and failed hard. Wrecked $50 with of seals very quickly. Ended up installing normal seals

1993yj

As far as I can tell the housing and shaft are both straight, and the surface of the shaft is good. Last time I replaced the seal (~2 years ago) I double checked all of those. When I swap the seal again I will double check. This will be the 4th seal in about 7 years on that side.

1993yj

Thanks. Looking over their site I don't see how their fancy seal would work for my axle as it appears to need to be set internally. The economy seal though looks like they have an option of a 2.125" ID and 1.5" axle shaft, so I will probably just try installing this at the same time as I replace the inner seal.