Dana 60 high steer question

COMP4x4

I have a ball joint dana 60 under the YJ and I need to find out how to run my tie rod and hydraulic steering setup out of the way. Preferably behind??? I know there are alot of arms out there for king pin axles but what options are there for a ball joint 60????
Thanks guys

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Full hydraulic, or assist? Full hydraulic will be easier. How high do you want the tie rod? Easiest way would be to just retaper the stock mounting holes from the top and flip the tie rod over. If you want it higher than that you'll have to make your own high-steer arms. I made one for my drag link on my ball joint 60, and left the tie rod low. It's not impossible, but it does suck.

COMP4x4

It is going to be full hydraulic. I have a machine shop and could probably make something to work. It just seems there is very little room to work with (especially for bolts) and I read some posts on pirate I think that said not to weld anything to the knuckle. I am just wondering if anyone has done it or has a good idea how to.
I know I could get new knuckles but getting ready for moab and need all the $$$ I can save ya know!!!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
COMP4x4 said:
It is going to be full hydraulic. I have a machine shop and could probably make something to work. It just seems there is very little room to work with (especially for bolts) and I read some posts on pirate I think that said not to weld anything to the knuckle. I am just wondering if anyone has done it or has a good idea how to.
I know I could get new knuckles but getting ready for moab and need all the $$$ I can save ya know!!!
Yup, I've done it. I ground down the top of the knuckle flat, drilled and tapped five bolt holes, and welded it on. Hang on, I'll go snap some pics, and give you a little more info. BTW it has worked great for 2 (3?) something years of UROC competition and a bunch of abusive wheeling. I actually sheared off a one ton Chevy tie rod end at the pitman arm, and did not damage the steering arm.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Okay, here goes. The arm is cut (with a sawzall! :eek: ) from one inch thick steel. Five drilled and tapped holes, and then it's welded everywhere it touches the knuckle, and reinforced with a "web" of 1/4 inch steel. I went to the welding shop and asked those guys if it's possible, and how to do it. They consulted some book, and sold me some special ($$$) rod. They said DO NOT PRE HEAT IT. Heat is your enemy here. Weld a little bit at a time, and let it cool. It will work if you don't let it get too hot. Here are a couple pictures of the arm, and a picture of the welding rod package, so you know what to get. Weld in a well vetilated area, this stuff gives off some nasty fumes! I would do this again, if I'm ever in the same position, this time I would make it look a little better though, my fabrication skills have improved a bit since then. :ugh:

Attachments

• highsteer2.jpg
    highsteer2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 25
  • highsteer1.jpg
    highsteer1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 27
  • castrod.jpg
    castrod.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 19

COMP4x4

Man that looks pretty good!!! Looks like you did that for the drag link. I think I will go that route, but do it on both sides and just run the tie rod that high and hook the ram up to that. What do ya think?? Also did you take the knuckle off to do that or did you just have the welders be careful of your ball joint (rubber)?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
COMP4x4 said:
Man that looks pretty good!!! Looks like you did that for the drag link. I think I will go that route, but do it on both sides and just run the tie rod that high and hook the ram up to that. What do ya think?? Also did you take the knuckle off to do that or did you just have the welders be careful of your ball joint (rubber)?
Sorry if i confused you. I did the welding myself (can't ya tell?), I just went to the store to find out how to do it. I totally stripped down the knuckle to do it. It would suck to try to build one on the axle. Yep, for full hydraulic you could just build one of those for each side, run the tie rod between them, and mount your ram somewhere on top of the axle. Another way to do it would be to build the same high steer arms, and use a double ended ram with a steering arm on each end, to the high steer arms. Either way will work, and either way will use the same arms, but the double ended ram will prolly work a little better.

COMP4x4

DING -- DING -- DING
I think we may have a winner!!! That looks like it will work perfect. A double ended ram would be awesome but I already spring for a double acting single end last year. I think it should work ok. I can always get the double later if I really need it. I need the suspension wrapped up first.

Thanks--

sukaB

Banned
COMP4x4 said:
DING -- DING -- DING
I think we may have a winner!!! That looks like it will work perfect. A double ended ram would be awesome but I already spring for a double acting single end last year. I think it should work ok. I can always get the double later if I really need it. I need the suspension wrapped up first.

Thanks--

As long as you use high nickel rod you'll be ok with decent weld job.
Heat smeat..