dana 60 info

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
okay i have read all the mags and stuff but tell me this...
what came with 35 spline dana 60 rears? i read that some fords came with 35 splines. give me all the info!

-nate

Caleb

there is not just a specific vehicle that came with them. its hit and miss no rhyme or reason...I have heard of quite a few coming from vans fwiw...

N-Smooth

supergper said:
there is not just a specific vehicle that came with them. its hit and miss no rhyme or reason...I have heard of quite a few coming from vans fwiw...

i figured it was all the onetons...

James K

NO, I'm always like this
supergper said:

I thought they were extremely rare.

But you could count on all dana 70's being 35 spline T or F?

Caleb

James K said:
I thought they were extremely rare.

But you could count on all dana 70's being 35 spline T or F?

yep, as far as I know thats true...the D70 is a much better option for the budget wheeler cause you get factory 35 spline shafts and both the D60 and D70 take the same cover so they are close to the same size...

gtidrivr

no not all d-70's are 35 spline... but they are still 1.5" shafts, i believe they are 32 spline. if you want a new rear just get a teardrop 70 and you will for sure get the big shaft!! um , you could always get a 14bolt i hear that they are pretty tuff too! ;)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Economos said:
I forget which Jeep J-Truck came with it, but these were the HD housings with 1/2" thick tubes, offset pumpkin, 35 spline, no neck downs and non c-clip D60s.
J300

If me memory serves me right.

If weight is an issue I would stay away from the Dana 70. I have look for years for that 35 spline Dana 60, I have also focused for Van's.

Caleb

Economos said:
I forget which Jeep J-Truck came with it, but these were the HD housings with 1/2" thick tubes, offset pumpkin, 35 spline, no neck downs and non c-clip D60s.

Aren't they SF though? If so then that takes away form the stength cause the shafts are supporting weight...

supergper said:
Aren't they SF though? If so then that takes away form the stength cause the shafts are supporting weight...

Ok, back with non-bunk tech here.:rolleyes:

Buddy of mine has one in his garage. The 60 came out of a J-3000; non c-clipped, 1/4" wall tubes instead of the 1/2" I mistakenly posted earlier, 65" wms-wms, offset pig to the pass. side, stock 4.10s, no neck-downs, 5on5.5 bolt pattern.

HTH.

Caleb

Economos said:
Ok, back with non-bunk tech here.:rolleyes:

Buddy of mine has one in his garage. The 60 came out of a J-3000; non c-clipped, 1/4" wall tubes instead of the 1/2" I mistakenly posted earlier, 65" wms-wms, offset pig to the pass. side, stock 4.10s, no neck-downs, 5on5.5 bolt pattern.

HTH.

SF or FF???

N-Smooth

wow lots of you chimed in but not a lot was said...hehe

yeah i personally think 14ff are the best option with 1.5" 35 spline shafts stock and they are easy to find. they are kinda big but they can be shaved a lot and converted to discs for weight loss. best stock axle IMO.

-nate

Caleb

xj_punk said:
wow lots of you chimed in but not a lot was said...hehe

yeah i personally think 14ff are the best option with 1.5" 35 spline shafts stock and they are easy to find. they are kinda big but they can be shaved a lot and converted to discs for weight loss. best stock axle IMO.

-nate

actually a 14T doesn;t have 35 spline shafts...they have 30 spline...

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
gtidrivr said:
no not all d-70's are 35 spline... but they are still 1.5" shafts, i believe they are 32 spline. if you want a new rear just get a teardrop 70 and you will for sure get the big shaft!! um , you could always get a 14bolt i hear that they are pretty tuff too! ;)
I dunno...I had a '93 Dodge 4x4 cummins dually...it had a 70ff rear, 32 spline shaft, but they weren't 1.5"...they were closer (i.e....I don't know exactly) to the 1.31" 30 spline common to a 60 rear....I thought that was pretty dumb to have an axle like that in a 1ton dually...seems kinda wimpy for the application. But, I have to agree that 14 bolts are neat! :D

N-Smooth

supergper said:
actually a 14T doesn;t have 35 spline shafts...they have 30 spline...

are you sure? i have never heard of a 30 spline... i could be wrong. more opinions please.

Caleb

xj_punk said:
are you sure? i have never heard of a 30 spline... i could be wrong. more opinions please.

I will give you $1000 if you show me a stock 35 spline FF 14T...seriously I will;)