Dana 60; Machining dually front hubs

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Working on a GM Dana 60 front from a late 70's 1 ton. Anyone on here ever machined front dually hubs, cutting off the mount and turning them into standard width SRW hubs?

The price of new hubs is pretty high, even used ones aren't cheap. I did find new ones for $240/piece which is the best price so far. - https://www.hillbillywizard.com/cucv-and-k30-parts/gm-dana-60-srw-hub/

$240 isn't bad at all? $350 for a unit with bearings and a rotor if I read that right? I swapped my Chev 60 from dually to SRW and think I paid that much for a used set of SRW hubs 20 years ago. I can't imagine you'd be less than that to machine it unless you have some connections or know how to do it yourself?

Back in the day, pirate4x4.com and ColoradoK5.com had some great tech on machining the dually hubs. I'm not sure if that stuff is still available on those sites? (Coloradok5.com is kind of "paywalled" now, pirate is definitely not the resource that it was)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
$240 isn't bad at all? $350 for a unit with bearings and a rotor if I read that right? I swapped my Chev 60 from dually to SRW and think I paid that much for a used set of SRW hubs 20 years ago. I can't imagine you'd be less than that to machine it unless you have some connections or know how to do it yourself?

Back in the day, pirate4x4.com and ColoradoK5.com had some great tech on machining the dually hubs. I'm not sure if that stuff is still available on those sites? (Coloradok5.com is kind of "paywalled" now, pirate is definitely not the resource that it was)

Yeah, it's probably just worth buying new from that place. Figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had actually done the machining.

Greg

Admin
I have done it. It's a lot of work and messy, and I'm not really convinced the little tabs the rotor bolts to, are strong enough for the wheel.

Good to know! I was wondering about that... sounds like I just ought to buy SRW hubs and see if I can sell these dually hubs.

RockChucker

I ended up ponying up for some Solid hubs a couple years ago when I sold my old axle and it needed hubs. Used ones were as much or more than solid hubs. Was worth it in the end though it stung the wallet a bit. The Solid hubs are nice units. My 40 year old stock units went with the old axle and the new new went on my Jeep.

Greg

Admin
I've learned that these dually hubs are becoming desirable, while you can buy new aftermarket SRW hubs on Amazon and elsewhere, there are no options for new Dually hubs.

I've seen listing for dually hubs for $500-600, that's enough for me to list these, see what happens and buy new SRW hubs.