Dana 60 Question

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Well I am thinking about going with a Dana 60 in the back of my TJ. I am going to start looking in the junk yards for one. I would like to find one that has 35 spline axles in it already. So I need you experts out there to tell me what to look for. I found one out of a 1977 Ford f-250 with 4.56 gears (what I need) for $250. Does it have 35-spline axles or should I keep looking.

Thanks Medsker

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
My guess is the one out of the Ford will have 30 spline axles. I think you will have a hard time finding a 60 with 35 spline axles stock.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Even though it's not 35 Spline, I think a 30 Spline 60 in the rear of a TJ would be plenty! (Unless you're running 300hp, 150 to 1 Gearing & 38" Tires.)

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I am going to have it narrowed. If you go with a 30 splined dana 60, what is the advantage of going with a 60 as opposed to a 30 spline dana 44 which would be lighter, have better clearance and probably be cheaper to build. By the way I am planning on running 37" tires at the biggest and the stock 4.0 with a 4.1 transfer case and an automatic.

2BIGTJ

RUKKASTIXX Motorsports
I have a 35 spline ford 60, it is out of a 84 f250 it has flanged axles and is a c-clip style, I also think that it came in some 1 ton Ford Vans

Medsker said:
I am going to have it narrowed. If you go with a 30 splined dana 60, what is the advantage of going with a 60 as opposed to a 30 spline dana 44 which would be lighter, have better clearance and probably be cheaper to build. By the way I am planning on running 37" tires at the biggest and the stock 4.0 with a 4.1 transfer case and an automatic.

Carrier strength, ring gear strength, bigger thicker tubes, bigger brakes, and optional 35 spline upgrade if you wish.

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
2BIGTJ said:
I have a 35 spline ford 60, it is out of a 84 f250 it has flanged axles and is a c-clip style, I also think that it came in some 1 ton Ford Vans

Oh, the semi-floater version. I had one in my '85 F-250.

2BIGTJ

RUKKASTIXX Motorsports
Floppy Hat said:
Oh, the semi-floater version. I had one in my '85 F-250.
I have mount logan Building me a 4 seater chassis and I am going to use it in the rear of that. then they are going to have new bearing pockets put on it to get rid of the c-clip, then I have a semi floating 35spline Dana 60.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
2BIGTJ said:
I have mount logan Building me a 4 seater chassis and I am going to use it in the rear of that. then they are going to have new bearing pockets put on it to get rid of the c-clip, then I have a semi floating 35spline Dana 60.

Yeah? Last week Rocklogic was building you a rig too.

Bones

You won't find a stock 35 spline int he width you want.

IMO buy a FW 60, narrow it, and 9" big bearing ends on it and by some 35 spline shafts in the lug pattern you desire.

My $0.02

demon jeep

Banned
2BIGTJ said:
what the hell are you laughing about? You have been building a Buggy for the last 2 years and nobody has ever seen it.

Um no I started on it 3 months ago.
I have been planning to build a buggy for a while :rolleyes:
Im just slow w/ school, and winter is coming up so no hurry