Dana 60 ?

Terrible Paulsy

100% Evil Conservative
I'm getting a rear D60 pretty much for free. It's off of a pick up truck bed trailor. I believe it's a 73 from what I can tell from the tag on the diff. My question is...does anybody know the spline count? I just want to make sure that it has the 31 spline shafts, and not the gay 16 spline or whatever the early 60's had. Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks boys

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Ya know, what you really need is a front axle. Any front axle will work better than the one you have currently. j/k :D Anyway, the D60 should be a full floating axle, so simply remove those flange bolts and slide a shaft out and count the splines.

BTW, your screen name is pretty damn amusing. Slightly insensitive, but I like it. :D

Terrible Paulsy

100% Evil Conservative
Yeah yeah..i know the Chev needs a front axle. But hopefully it will be sold soon, so i can put this whole 2WD ugliness behind me :D I know i can just bust into the axle and count the splines myself, but that would mean getting my hands dirty (gasp) :eek: J/K Actually, i just plan on selling the 60, so i'll wait until i get my dirty little hands on it. Besides...it should have 31 spline shafts.

Oh, and about the screen name....do you really think it sounds insensative? ;)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Actually, it should be 30 spline. Like Coneski said, turn those 8 bolts lefty (loosey), and pull that shaft out and put on yer counting hat! Should be 30 spline, but you never know. The much more important thing is to measure the ID of the spindles. If it is 1.5" or more you have the coveted (and rare) big spindle version, and you can easily upgrade those wimpy 30 spline shafts to manly 35 spline shafts. Get to work!