dana 61 ?????

ryan iverson

parts collector

realy . im just worried im picking up a 60/70 combo this week and im hope its a 60 like i was told. dont want to drive to idaho for a 61

Meat_

Banned
If it's from a dodge and driver's side, it's a 61. Another way to tell is if it's from a dodge and coil sprung it's a 61.

Meat_

Banned
What were we proving? I'm pretty sure he's buying axles from a 3/4 or 1 ton. That page lists my truck as having a D60 disconnect but it doesn't explain how they managed to get 3.07 gears in the D60 :rolleyes:

ryan iverson

parts collector

on pbb in the 60 bible they have the 61 listed in the b.o.m. numbers having kingpin.just the pinion gear is offset for a higher gear. thanks for the help guys i just wanted to set my mind at ease

Last edited:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The info I have shows it could be in anything from 87-93.5...

...And Ford had a D61 rear? 79-87?? Never heard of a rear D61, so that one kind of surprised me...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Fwiw my brother has a Kingpin D61 in the front of his 91 Cummins SRW. They we're not nearly as common as the D60's, and I'm thinking that they where only avaliable with the TF727 equipped trucks. 3.07 Ratio with a tall carrier makes it a pain to swap to even 4.10's. My brother now has a 4speed auto with that 3.07 ratio, and I'm pretty sure he could set a land speed record if he wanted too :rofl:

Anyway if you get there and it is in fact a D61......:ugh: I'd drive home empty handed...

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Fwiw my brother has a Kingpin D61 in the front of his 91 Cummins SRW. They we're not nearly as common as the D60's, and I'm thinking that they where only avaliable with the TF727 equipped trucks. 3.07 Ratio with a tall carrier makes it a pain to swap to even 4.10's. My brother now has a 4speed auto with that 3.07 ratio, and I'm pretty sure he could set a land speed record if he wanted too :rofl:

Anyway if you get there and it is in fact a D61......:ugh: I'd drive home empty handed...

...or buy it for the knuckles and shafts and put a different pig in there.

if it is a 61 i would get it, for the right price. there the same as a 60 in strength and with a little fooling around with the ring and pinion you can get deeper gears in it. i think you have to add a spacer to the carrier. it will have internal hubs like the later model dodge 60's and its still a 1480 u-joint, agin for the right price its a great axle, jason.