dana 70 or 14 bolt?

fordy4

What is the best axle and why?
I have a dana 70 Rear from a 72 dodge dually(motorhome), free. I know the gears are 4.56 or lower(have not looked inside yet). Or a 14 bolt Rear that I can get for cheap. I am building a buggy with a ford 390 motor, and 38 to 40" tires. So, which axle should I use? What about upgrades/parts for each? Like 40 spline shafts and spools? and where can I go to get them? How readily available are they?

KToy

14 bolt. its as strong as a d70 and its not a dualy. u have to mod the 70 dually axle i think.

plus lockers for 14 bolts are cheap.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
14 bolt under my rig with 38's Beef and cheap lockers. Not very good clearance though.

fourdoorjeep

The Detroit Locker does not come with the carrier for the 14 bolt and I think the carrier changes for the 14 bolt at 4.56. Can you get different carrier when you change to 4.56 or 4.88? ?

Caleb

fourdoorjeep said:
The Detroit Locker does not come with the carrier for the 14 bolt and I think the carrier changes for the 14 bolt at 4.56. Can you get different carrier when you change to 4.56 or 4.88? ?

I believe there is a carrier break at 4.56 however I have never seen a higher (number) carrier...all the gears that are available for the 14T from 4.56 to 5.13 (the highest available) are all available in a thick gear set, meaning they can be used on the lower carrier...if it were me I woudl prolly go with the 70 cause it has 35 spline shafts. The 14T has 1.5" shafts also but they are only 30 spline, given everything else is the same the 35 spline will be stronger.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
14 bolt has three pinion bearings. I don't know if the 70 does or not.

Yes I have a grinder, but I don't have the will power.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
mesha said:
14 bolt has three pinion bearings. I don't know if the 70 does or not.

Yes I have a grinder, but I don't have the will power.

:D Ahhhhh spend an hour with the grinder (cut that big lip off and 'smooth' the bottom) and you'll be pleased:d