dana 70 or a 14 bolt

SWALLDOG

14 bolt is stronger. A 70 has the same size Pinion shaft as a 60 which = weak. Lol. A 70 will have more ground clearance especially if ya get a tear drop 70 unless you shave the 14. They both have 1.5" shafts just diffrent splines.

Android using Tapatalk (probably @ work)

STAG

On my grind
I have heard that the shafts of a D70 are stronger than the shafts of a 14 bolt. However that being stated, I prefer a 14b over a 70 any day of the week.

Easier to setup/adjust the gears because there are no carrier shims.
Better aftermarket support for the 14b and better availability in junkyards.
Removeable pinion carrier
Pinion support bearing on the nose of the pinion
And I'm sure there are other reasons but I can't think of them right meow.

STAG

On my grind
And although the shaft diameters are both the same, the 14b is only 30 splines. It's just that the actual splines are bigger/coarser than the d70 splines.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Whichever one you can get cheaper, or can get parts for cheaper. (that probably means 14b, but you never know) Either one will be more or less indestructible for most humans.

camdawg

thanks for the info.I can get a 14 bolt for free so that is the way I will go I have been breaking dana 60 shafts and I want to upgrade.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm just about finished building a shaved 14 bolt. I was thinking about posting up a tech thread on doing it, if there is any interest. The shave turned out great.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'd go w/the 14 bolt, they're cheaper to deal with, and any strength difference up or down is negligible. 14 bolt shafts seem to hold up to a ridiculous amount of abuse. Somewhere in a shoebox I've got pics of mine w/about 170* of twist down one of them, no break.

thenag

14 bolt is my pick.
x2

Whichever one you can get cheaper, or can get parts for cheaper. (that probably means 14b, but you never know) Either one will be more or less indestructible for most humans.

Yup I agree with that to...

Easier to setup/adjust the gears because there are no carrier shims.
Better aftermarket support for the 14b and better availability in junkyards.
Removable pinion carrier
Pinion support bearing on the nose of the pinion
And I'm sure there are other reasons but I can't think of them right meow.

Nobody mentioned that Detroits are way cheap and don't require a new carrier for the 14 bolt which makes the overall cost of a locked axle a lot cheaper.

it is tough to beat 14 bolt.

nathan
99 xj with a 14 bolt

camdawg

are you guys running after market shafts in your 14still bolt if so what kind have you had good luck with or have the stock shafts treated well

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I would run the stock shafts. most people do they are so beefy. Just throw a Yukon grizzly locker in that thing and run it