Dana 80 ????

Bucking Bronco

I picked up this axle dirt cheap today and was wondering if there is any way to convert it to a standard 8 lug as apposed to the larger 8 lug pattern

1e755ab9.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I don't know a lot about the 80's, or the 80's :D but I'd imagine you could at least cut and weld on a 14 bolt or 60 spindle and start from there. You might also check with Dynatrac as there are now building 80's and see what they do.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
What's it from? I'd assume is has 35 spline shafts. How wide? I wonder if you could use Dodge Dana 70 parts, if the width is close.

I like the idea of using 14 Bolt spindles, if you're game for some fab work.

Meat_

Banned
Is the center bigger than standard 8? Is the flange such that you could have 8 holes drilled in the proper pattern?

You could always recenter some H1s and just keep that pattern....

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
What's it from? I'd assume is has 35 spline shafts. How wide? I wonder if you could use Dodge Dana 70 parts, if the width is close.

I like the idea of using 14 Bolt spindles, if you're game for some fab work.

37spline. I'm pretty sure 8 lug hubs should be available since they used them in cummins pickups. You probably owned one Greg.

Bucking Bronco

The center alone is 170mm and the lug pattern is 8 on 225mm so no re-drilling. I was thinking about recentering some wheels but it has a 74" WMS

The axles have 488 gears and I assume some sort of limited as most the 450 had one.

I would not mind cutting and adding the 14 bolt outers but then I need custom axle shafts made

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Custom shafts aren't much more then normal shafts through Duchman and others. Build the axle so that the shafts are the same lenght then buy three shafts at the same time. Not that you'd ever need the spare.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Does this axle have any potential or should I pull the gears and scrap it

It has potential. However, if you decide to call it quits, you can dump it off here. ;)

So here's the deal, you can utilize the existing Dana 80 spindles. Then, use 14-bolt hubs. However, you will need to bore out the ID of the hub to accept the 37 spline shafts.

Here's the downside... unless you're intending on narrowing the axle, you will have an extremely wide axle when using the 14-bolt hubs. Sure, being wide is all fine and good, but matching up a front axle gets interesting. It really should be narrowed.

If you want to see a Jeep/buggy with custom narrowed (not Dynatrac) Dana 80's front and rear, with standard 8 lug and 17" wheels, come on down... :D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Here are a couple pics of the rear. NOTE: The flange on your full-float shafts will also need to be drilled.

FWIW, here is also a pic of the front. Keep in mind that it is sitting on the air bumps (full compression) and the yet-to-be narrowed hood looks a little funny right now.

Attachments

• natebuggy 033r.jpg
    natebuggy 033r.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 21
  • natebuggy 035r.jpg
    natebuggy 035r.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 21
  • misc4 032.jpg
    misc4 032.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 29

Bucking Bronco

So here's the deal, you can utilize the existing Dana 80 spindles. Then, use 14-bolt hubs. However, you will need to bore out the ID of the hub to accept the 37 spline shafts.

OK I am confused (NO SURPRISE) If I use the existing Dana 80 spindles why do I need to bore out the hub for the axles

If I narrow this axle can I just re-spline the existing axles or do I have to buy new ones

Last edited:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
But the shaft goes through the spindle and the hub goes over the spindle

What am I missing?

Sorry, let me go back and correct that...

The only Dana 80 axles that came with 37 spline shafts are the ones that have the big 10-lug pattern.

All of the others are refered to as "hybrid 80's" and have 35 spline shafts. They also have Dana 70 outers (hub & spindle).

As far as the "boring out" situation goes, I made an error in my explanation.

Heres the deal: If you use Dana 70 or 14 bolt outers (hub & spindle), no need to bore anything, but you may need to "clean up" the O.D. of the shaft, due to really tight clearances and slight imperfections in shaft manufacturing.

After talking to Matt here, he suggested you stop by to look at the Dana 80 he is currently building OR borrow one of our 14 bolt hubs to check and see if it will physically work on the Dana 80 you've got.

BTW, what did your Dana 80 come out of again? Did it have the 10 lug pattern to begin with?

Bucking Bronco

I got the axle out of a 99 F-450. It does have an 8 lug pattern but it is the larger 8 on 225mm and from all the research I have done it does have the 1.6" 37 spline axles.

I will have to pull to make sure. I am getting the axle out from under the truck today (Hopefully) and I will pull one side and take some measurements.

That would be great if I could borrow a hub to make sure.

Thank you

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I got the axle out of a 99 F-450. It does have an 8 lug pattern but it is the larger 8 on 225mm and from all the research I have done it does have the 1.6" 37 spline axles.

I will have to pull to make sure. I am getting the axle out from under the truck today (Hopefully) and I will pull one side and take some measurements.

That would be great if I could borrow a hub to make sure.

Thank you

Yeah, check those shafts! Any info and recommendations depend on whether or not you've got the 35 or 37 spline axles.

I'm still learning about these as well, but Matt definitely has a good grasp of what needs to happen and why...