Dana44 front ?

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
Well i put my 4.10s in the rear of my truck and like an idiot when I ordered I counted the bolts on the diffs front and back, and ordered gears both for GM 10 bolts. I tore the front down today and the ring gear said Dana, inside the pig there was 44-6 stamped in it, I assume this means I have a Dana 44 front? I just wanted to get a confirmation before I order the new front gears.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That is kinda funny because a month ago we tore out a GM 10 front assuming (not thinking) it was a D44. Never really looked at it until we pulled it out. We just assumed it was a D44, which I should have known since I had about 2 of them laying around my yard and two of them under my jeep...

Doh! :eek:

Get Me wired

got issues?
I don't really know the markings but I do know the GM 10 bolt has a more rounded look to the cover where as the Dana 44 kind of has six sides. Whats that a hexagon.

Barrowed this D44 pic from the web
44front.jpg

A front GM 10 bolt would look just like you rear, hears a side by side pic, the 44 is on the left and the one you can't see very well is the 10 bolt.
10boltand44.jpg

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
Thanx for the info guys. Yeah by the pics its definately a D-44, next time I do gears I'll definately check alittle closer. Kind of sucks, cause this weekend I'm leaving for Michigan with it and I wanted to get the front done so I could wheel some and get some good pics to show my friends back home what their missin out on. Oh well. I'm going to order the right ones and have em shipped to Michigan and swap em there, and fo some hellacious(well hopefully hellacious) mud boggin. I'll post some pics when I get back.

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
:confused:Ok guys heres onother Question. When I look to order new ones it says : case changes 3.73 &down, 3.91 &up. I have 3.08 in the front now. Does that mean that I need to order a new case too?:confused:

Too Far

parts is parts
Isuzu used the thicker ring gear with both 4.10 and 4.30 ratios. You could try your luck at finding a used set because new ones cost too much. You can find the 44 under the rear of v6 '93-97rodeos.
BTW, why 4.10? Something that starts with a 5 might be more appropriate for a toyota based rock rig.