De-railed

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Driving up the Wind River Canyon in Wyoming today. Enjoying one of the most beautiful drives in the state. Came up on this only a few minutes after it happened. It was AWESOME. Not for some people, I'm sure, but to see at least... :cool:

8528ed10-5e10-11df-b1a8-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

Article: http://trib.com/article_b3a41ac8-5e08-11df-8a7d-001cc4c002e0.html

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Awesome!!! I bet that was one hell of a sight to see! Thanks for sharing.

It's been a bad day for railroading, there was a huge rockslide in the Gore Canyon here in CO that took out 300 ft of track. I'm hoping we don't have to head up there and work on that. :ugh:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Nothing like seeing 200 ton locomotives strewn around like play things..

I'll never forget the one we rolled up on in Helper canyon a few years ago.. not sure if that's the name..

Greg

Admin
So Greg, we were wondering. How do they clean up a mess like that? I'm sure locomotives aren't the lightest thing to pick up...

Jason is right, big ass cranes. The might use side-booms to drag the one locomotive out of the river and closer to the track, just depends how far from the track they ended up.

You'd be surprised how quickly they will have that mess cleaned up, I'm not sure if that's BN track or UP, but I know there is a lot of UP track up in Wyo.

Greg

Admin
hopefully everyone was ok...

The train crew escaped, sounds like they bailed off the train before impact. The news article said they were checked into the hospital with minor injuries. Still, could you imagine operating a train and coming around a corner and seeing a rock the size off a truck in the track? :eek:

I hope our guy wasn't driving.

I don't think there are any BNSF guys on here, Dan (TRNDRVR) works for Amtrak.

jp008

The train crew escaped, sounds like they bailed off the train before impact. The news article said they were checked into the hospital with minor injuries. Still, could you imagine operating a train and coming around a corner and seeing a rock the size off a truck in the track? :eek:

I don't think there are any BNSF guys on here, Dan (TRNDRVR) works for Amtrak.

I don't work for, just work with. They are always in our Provo yard.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I remember years ago coming from eastern wyoming and coming across a train derailment just east of rock springs.... there was like 20+ rail cars laying on their sides and all of them had jeep liberty in them... the whole lot got destroyed due to UP's insurance policy...

It took them about one day to get the tracks up and running again and another 3 weeks to clean up the whole mess.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Passed by the mess on the way back yesterday. Most everything was back sitting on the tracks exept for one locomotive. The tracks in that area were pulled out and it looked like they were using a whole bunch of small bulldozer type cranes to move the last one. The radio said everything should be fixed and back to normal by today.