Dead Battery

bsmurph

Just Enough Exotic Parts
Parked the Jeep and been driving the truck. It’s sat for a week and DEAD BATTERY!
Found out that I left the winch solenoid on. I put the winch on a solenoid for extra protection in case a wire went bad.

The big question is dose a solenoid pull enough power to kill a optima yellow top in a week????:mad2:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I don't think it should... I have a solenoid on my dual battery, isolating it from my starting circuit, it has never run down the battery.

anvil

Let's calculate the AmpHours the solenoid would have drawn from the battery. You didn't say what type of solenoid, but I'm guessing the power draw is similar to some of the stancor solenoids I found in the Newark catalog. Let's assume a 12 W draw. At 12 Volts this is 1 Amp of current. 1 week is 168 hours. That is a draw of 168 AmpHours. The largest Yellow Top has a reserve capacity of 120 Amp Hours. Yes, the solenoid would have drained the battery completely in 1 week.

bsmurph

Just Enough Exotic Parts
Let's calculate the AmpHours the solenoid would have drawn from the battery. You didn't say what type of solenoid, but I'm guessing the power draw is similar to some of the stancor solenoids I found in the Newark catalog. Let's assume a 12 W draw. At 12 Volts this is 1 Amp of current. 1 week is 168 hours. That is a draw of 168 AmpHours. The largest Yellow Top has a reserve capacity of 120 Amp Hours. Yes, the solenoid would have drained the battery completely in 1 week.

Your Right !!!! Thanks Murph!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

Huh??? That would only be the case if it were a normally closed circuit OR if the circuit was switched to the closed position. A normal-open solenoid has 0 amp draw when not in use.... think about it, its just a cable at that point, thats like saying your cables are going to draw your battery down.

There are solenoids out there that are NOT normally open, but I can't think of why you would use one on a rig (without some super techy wiring).

If your theory were correct... my Warn winches solenoids (always connected but normally open) would drain my battery in under 2 days... that doesn't take into account the losses due to my dual battery realay (also normally open).

So, assuming you have a standard auto solenoid (think Ford starter solenoid), then I don't think your relay is draining the system.

Brad J

The solenoid only drains if the electromagnet is energized. I mounted a shut off solenoid to cut all power to my scout w/ just a regular Ford solenoid and my Battery died after a couple days. This was since I did not actually shut of power to it. If you don't energize the solenoid then no drain to it.

HTH
Brad J

anvil

Cruiseroutfit, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. bsmurph said he left the solenoid on. On your vehicle the solenoid is probably wired so that it is off when the vehicle is off. That is how solenoids are typically used for battery isolators. If the solenoid is on it is drawing power. I think we all agree and know how a solenoid works. I just did the math to show how long it would take to drain his battery. With the solenoid off there would of course be no battery drain.

Dart

Banned
My yellow top would do the same. I got worse after a month. I stopped using the yellow top after the 3rd one. I guess I had bad luck with them. Go get it load tested and see if it is bad. I use Exide thats like the Optima. 4 years and no problems. (knocking on wood)

Meat_

Banned

155 but that still isn't enough