Death at Indy 300

Dominic

I was at this race today. What a total shock, I can't really explain it. I did not know this man but being in the crowd and watching this all unfold was so different than watching from home. It was an intense experience I feel for his beautiful wife and his children. Certainly every drivers family knows the dangers while driving at those speeds but I am sure you are never really prepared.

The track was under Red conditions for and hour and half. 10 cars were scattered across the track. It took forever to clean up. Almost immediately after medical teams got to the cars the rotors on the in field helicopter started turning. Little information was released but after early reports were that all the drivers were alert and okay. Either they were misinformed or they were covering up. There did not seem to be an overwhelming amount of urgency in loading him in the helicopter. Time went by as the clean up crews continued to work on the track. The drivers were all called to a meeting. I was watching for any news on my phone via. twitter, internet etc. espn had reported that as many as 20 doctors working to save his life. Once word started spreading that they were going to hold a press conference I knew in my heart he was gone.

Rest in peace Dan Wheldon

http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/7111712/dan-wheldon-dies-following-indycar-crash-vegas

Attachments

• rpm_u_crashts_600.jpg
    rpm_u_crashts_600.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: