Deep Creek Mountains, 06-14

OB1

Thanks for the report Dave. I always enjoy reading about your adventures and keep telling myself I'm going to do that someday. For now I'm stuck in ND hoping to get back to Utah by this fall. Awesome pictures!

DAA

Thanks everyone!

I did see fish in the creeks. No idea what the current status is, but I know when I looked into it a long time ago, you couldn't fish any of them. Forget which endangered cutthroat it was. But that was a LONG time ago, things are probably different now.

- DAA

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The Bonneville cutthroat trout, which has been nominated for protection under the Endangered Species Act, is found in Birch Creek and Trout Creek. This fish, once common in streams of the Great Basin, has been eliminated from most of its historic range by habitat destruction and hybridization with rainbow trout. A private developer, BMB Enterprises Inc., has received a license from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to build a small hydroelectric project near the proposed wilderness. While this project will not affect the wilderness, it will dry up 3,200 feet of Birch Creek, habitat for the Bonneville cutthroat. Link (NSFL- suwa)

Several perennial streams flow from these mountains. The streams are small and fragile. Some support small populations of trout (including the pure-strain Bonneville cutthroat, which was once thought to be extinct but is now a key player in Utah's fisheries program). We don't encourage fishing here because much pressure could overwhelm these small streams and destroy their natural populations. Trout Creek is closed to fishing. Anglers fishing other streams should use artificials and practice catch and release. Link

I couldn't find dates for either of those articles so I don't know whether the closure that is talked about is accurate or not.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I camped at Indian Farm Canyon recently...can you give me an idea of where the pictographs are? I feel bad I didn't see them now!

Great trip report. I was up there last weekend and noticed the barricade in Granite Canyon seemed a bit odd. Dad noticed that there were no official signs stating it was closed only that they put up the cables in your photograph (and we all know how the BLM loves to litter the landscape with road closed and WSA signs).
Did you follow up with the BLM about this? It seemed to us that some overzealous field manager decided to close it where he saw fit. We walked up to Camp Ethel and its not like its a huge deal but there are principalities involved here! I may be placing a call to the BLM to get an explanation.

DAA

Great trip report. I was up there last weekend and noticed the barricade in Granite Canyon seemed a bit odd. Dad noticed that there were no official signs stating it was closed only that they put up the cables in your photograph (and we all know how the BLM loves to litter the landscape with road closed and WSA signs).
Did you follow up with the BLM about this? It seemed to us that some overzealous field manager decided to close it where he saw fit. We walked up to Camp Ethel and its not like its a huge deal but there are principalities involved here! I may be placing a call to the BLM to get an explanation.

When I looked at that barricade last year, it looked like it had been there a long, long time, to me? Looked older than the recently removed WSA barricade lower down, for sure.

My presumption - no hard info, just my thoughts - was at this point, it's Juab county deal, not a BLM deal. The road beyond the cables was totally impassable to vehicles last year, fallen timber and washouts, so simply removing the barricade would only be inviting rescue missions. My take, was that it was going to require a good bit of road work to make that last section passable and my assumption was that since it had been turned over to Juab, it would be up to them to find the money and resources to get it done. And I wasn't prepared to hold my breath on that... But, when I was there last year, simply removing the cables would only let you drive about another 10 inches up that road...

- DAA

DAA

I might be able to make a weekend in mid July work. If not then, maybe mid August. After that I'm booked pretty solid Sep. through the end of Jan.

- DAA

I might be able to make a weekend in mid July work. If not then, maybe mid August. After that I'm booked pretty solid Sep. through the end of Jan.

- DAA

I spent a few hours out there on the 4th of july and hit two trails really quick. I have the GPS tracks of the two trails that I did. Also, I'm putting the gopro vids on youtube (warning, newbie youtuber so vid quality possibly not all that awesome). Here is one of the vids: https://youtu.be/cGe50GGJ4Mg

There is a camp ground that looks to have about 10 spots or so. Looks someone went to a lot of trouble to set it up but it hardly gets used. Truly not a bad option since you will basically have the place to yourself. I'll be taking some friends out there for a few days in the next couple of weeks. This was beautiful area.