Defensive/Practical Handgun Competition - May 14th, 2015 The Armory Range, Sandy, Ut

Roper

What: Defensive/Practical Handgun Competition

Where: The Armory Range, Sandy, Utah.

When: May 14th, 2015 - 6:30pm.

Who: New shooters (experienced and inexperienced competitors) are welcome. Safe gun handling skills are required and safety rules will be strictly enforced.

Cost:$15

Required Equipment: Handgun, 2 Magazines, Holster, Magazine Pouch, 80-100 rounds of ammo, eye and ear protection.

Competition Description: 3 stages will be shot be each competitor, drawing from the holster, engaging multiple targets, weak hand only/strong hand only shooting, reloads, etc. Final score will be based on speed and accuracy.

Divisions: Production, Limited, Open, Revolver

Register at the link below - space is limited.

https://clubs.practiscore.com/the-armory-inaugural-fun-shoot/register

Please call Brandon at 801-828-0758 or email brandontroper@gmail.com with questions.

It's gonna be fun!

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
This sounds like a kick. To bad its not first thing Saturday morning, just because it would be easier to slip away... :D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
If you have never done a shooting competition I would highly recommend it. Not only are they crazy fun, it really lets you know what you need to practice.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
That actually sounds pretty cool. I'd like to try it with my carry weapon. Will I be severely handicapped by a 6 round mag?

You will, but it is your carry weapon so better to lose a competition than the alternative :)

I was wondering if it made sense to use a .22 until you got used to the competition...

Cheap ammo, no kick...

It depends. If just for paper, yes. If the competition uses any steel you will have a hard time turning the targets with a .22
The IDPA competitions I was in used both steel and paper. There were some young people using .22s the steel would only turn about 10% of the time. If you want to be "competitive" use a 9mm at least.

Roper

Just signed up. I'll use my carry weapon and my StealthGear holster and see how it goes :D I'll learn something regardless.

6 rounds could work but you would need 4 full spare mags to complete the first stage. Stage 1 requires 24 shots. I have a spare Glock 17, holster, belt, mag pouch, mags, etc. if you want to borrow it for the comp. You'd just need to supply the 9mm ;).

It's fun to shoot this stuff with your EDC weapon but it gets tricky designing stages that works for all the different types of guns that people bring.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
6 rounds could work but you would need 4 full spare mags to complete the first stage. Stage 1 requires 24 shots. I have a spare Glock 17, holster, belt, mag pouch, mags, etc. if you want to borrow it for the comp. You'd just need to supply the 9mm ;).

It's fun to shoot this stuff with your EDC weapon but it gets tricky designing stages that works for all the different types of guns that people bring.

Ive got a Ruger I can bring but don't have a good holster for it. I'll figure something out

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
StealthGear hooked me up with a good holster for tomorrow. I'll bring my carry gun as well and it's StealthGear holster. :D Looking fwd to tomorrow. Anyone else going?

kyojin

I was going to try to make this but got sick the day before. Mesha what matches do you shoot locally? Trying to see who else on here shoots competitively.