Delta Trip Report - long but full of carnage!!

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
This is the trip report I posted on my club's website. You may not know the people (well, some of you might), but I thought I'd post it anyway just for fun)

Greetings,
Great trip to Chainsaw on Sat Feb 1. A note about cat canyon, the group that was there decided (after waking up to about 6" of snow) to cancel, and head straight home. I'm glad I did, cause even though we left Delta at 10am (or so), I didn't get home until right around 4pm. What a long day!!!

Ok, on to the trip report. I'll post photos as well, but those will have to come a little at a time.

I met up with Kevin, Tom and Matthew Saturday morning in Sandy, then we picked up Darrin and Ed (don't know his last name, drove a Red YJ) at the lehi crossroads (redwood rd and Hwy 73). We made good time to Delta arriving around 830 or so. This gave time to fuel up the rigs and our bodies.

Scott was our trail leader, and we had a quick meeting before heading out to the trailhead. Pretty long drive on a gravel road, but it was one of the better gravel roads I've been on.

Got unloaded and headed up the trail with 10 rigs and about 25 people (some rigs had 2 people, some had as many as 4). The first part of the trail is very mild, then the stairsteps begin. At the first major obstacle, there was a bit of snow and mud that prevented anyone from making it up despite some valient efforts. There was a bit of excitement with a few rigs who tried as air showed under a wheel here and there. I was tail gunner, so I gave it a shot but also failed to make it over. Close, but no cigar. Luckily, there was a bypass for this one (the only bypass on the trail).

The trail proceeded up a few more ledges that didn't seem to bother too many rigs until Scott stopped for the next obstacle. This is when the trip began to get interesting.

Scotty made it up the ledge to the right without too much fanfare, then Chris (brown CJ7) and John (Blue YJ), then Darrin in his Green TJ. He was having a little mechanical difficulties, the Tcase seemed to be popping out of 4low....it got pretty exciting watching him, and we finally had to strap him to get him over the ledge.

Ed came next in his Red YJ. Open front diff, lock right (or similar) in the rear. He made everything look pretty easy that day. Great Driver (and great mechanic as you'll see in a few moments).

Tony brought the fullsize bronco over the second ledge like it was nothing, then Chad (white YJ....I hope I have the names right). Chance followed next in his new scrambler. He made the obstacle, but it cost him a hub. Unfortunately, his hardcore wheeling day was over since we didn't have a spare for it.

The rest of the group started moving up the hill for the third series of ledges so we could make room for the final two vehicles (Kevin and me). We got Chance's scrambler off to the side of the trail, and everyone watched Scotty on the ledges. He tried to the left first, but was slipping and sliding a bit, so tried to the right. Tinkerbell (the rottweiler puppy) decided she didn't want to ride anymore, so in the middle of the obstacle, she jumped out. Frannie got video footage of it. Silly dog!!!!

Everyone seemed to have a little trouble with the third series of ledges. Everyone made it, we had to strap Darrin with his mechanical difficulties, but finally Kevin and I went back and brought our rigs up over the second ledge. Having watched 8 rigs in front of us do that second ledge, Kevin and I knew the line, and went right up the second ledge (thanks also to some great spotting by Chance - the Scrambler owner....sorry again if I mixed up Chad and Chance's names).

With Darrin's TJ to the side of the trail (he decided he didn't need to risk breaking and would bum a ride or walk the rest of the trail), Ed showed everyone how it was done with his open front diff. A little exciting, and a bit of skinny pedal, but he went over the same line (obs right) that everyone else had gone over.

While Kevin was navigating up a couple of minor ledges leading up to the third main ledge, I went back to move the BlackSheep up a little closer. I was watching from the rear when both of Kevin's rear wheels came about 10" off the ground. When they came back down, the driver side rear tire caught on the side of a rock that was giving Kevin some grief. Most of you probably know what happens when stock dana 35 axles come down that hard under power.

Yep, see the photos to see what it looked like from my perspective waiting at the bottom of the ledges. The axle shaft must have come about half way out before he got the vehicle stopped. Surprisingly enough, the axle shaft twisted, and the c-clip end was still together.

As a group, we got him in a position to stabilize the vehicle, then started dismantling. Kudos to Ed (red YJ) for being so instrumental in making the repair, and Kudos to Kevin who brought all the tools and spare parts necessary to make the repair. It took about 3 hours, about 10 guys a Big *** Hammer, and a rubber hose to make the repair, but finally it was done. There was no damage to the ARB until re-assembly when Kevin unfortunately broke the air fitting on the bearing.

While a big group was working on Kevin's rig, the 5 leading vehicles (Scott, Chris, John, Chad, Tony) went up to the top to try out the optional obstacle. I finally walked up just after they had hooked up Scott's winch. He had made it over some pretty tough ledges, but the mud conspired against him on the last and biggest ledge. We got him winched up, then he started down.....with about 5 of us on the tow rope trying to keep him from doing an end-o!!!

He was pretty excited to have made it (especially since he didn't roll!!). Once he was down, Tony decided to give it a shot. He did an awesome job getting up over the first part of the obstacle, but about the same place they hooked up Scott's winch, we had to hook up Tony's winch. It was pretty exciting getting him down, all of us on the tow rope were slipping and sliding as his rear tires came off the ground more than once. Tony kept his cool, and we got him down safely with no incidents.

By the time the group got back to Kevin's rig, they were in a bit of a bind. As a mechanic, I understand their reluctance to use the bigger hammer, but after Chris suggested we remove the other wheel to find out why the broken axles pieces wouldn't come out, we realized that the bigger hammer was the only way the broken pieces would move to remove the c-clip. Once the c-clip was out of the way, we faced the difficulty of pushing those pieces out of the shaft. The magnet wouldn't pull them out, So we were all scratching our heads.

Kevin started digging around in his tool box looking for something long enough to push with, and one of the items he picked up (to continue digging) was a length of garden hose.... almost in unison, about 8 of us yelled out "Use the hose". Believe it or not, the hose is what allowed Kevin and Ed to continue with the repair. As I stated previously, Kevin unfortunately broke the air fitting on the bearing when re-attaching the cap, but otherwise was able to drive out (and home) under his own power.

FINALLY, I got to give this final obstacle a try. I actually made it up the left side that was giving folks such a heartache. The BlackSheep is an awesome vehicle!!

I immediately turned around and Chance began to lead the group out to the tow rigs. We stopped briefly when we seemed to have a break in contact only to find out that Chris blew a head gasket!!!! He was able to drive out, but had a bit of steam blowing out his exhaust.

Final Tally: ChainSaw - 5, PC Packrats - A great time!!!!

Darrin's TJ - mechanical difficulties...unresolved, but was able to drive it out
Chance's Scrambler - Broken Hub
Chris's CJ-7 - Broken Ladder bar & blown head Gasket
Kevin's Cherokee - Snapped axle shaft