Des News: The Debate Over Land Use

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700126708/The-debate-over-land-use.html?pg=1

Should the Department of Interior expect motorized recreationists to obey its land use plans? More to the point, should DOI expect motorized recreationists to continue to obey its land use plans when DOI acts to subvert its own plans?

A bureaucracy's legitimacy is linked to the moral justification of its legal authority. A bureaucracy such as DOI, though duly created by Congress, may nevertheless lose legitimacy if a governed class concludes that the bureaucracy is inherently unjust. Without moral authority the bureaucracy will lose the voluntary obedience necessary for its operation.

OHV riders and the public that relies upon motorized vehicles to access recreation destinations have experienced wave after wave of road closures. They have been progressively excluded from routes and destinations now only available to backpackers. Yet, at the urging of DOI and other agencies, throughout the 2000s motorized recreationists vigorously participated in numerous federal land use plan revisions. They were told that the planning processes would result in travel plans that would govern 15 to 20 years into the future.

For their active participation, motorized recreationists suffered yet more road closures, but, at least the final plans did not close all of the roads demanded by so-called environmentalists. Under the plans DOI could count on long term cooperation by motorized recreationists, who, in turn, could count on specific long-term open route designations. Stated otherwise, DOI had supposedly established objective rules under which recreationists would credit legitimacy to DOI.

Unfortunately, DOI bureaucrats promptly conspired with environmentalists to have President Obama declare national monuments directly over areas governed by the new land use plans. This strategy was shelved after a Department of Interior memorandum was leaked in February 2010. Instead, in December 2010, the Secretary of Interior announced that DOI would override its newly adopted land use plans by performing new reviews of lands arbitrarily labeled as "Wild Lands."

Recreationists never heard the words "Wild Lands" when they participated in seven years of land use planning. But now, roads to be left open long-term under the land use plans may be closed as inconsistent with DOI's nouveau "Wild Lands" mantra. As always, DOI will invite recreationists to "participate" and "comment," but the inevitable result will be more closed roads.

DOI may, within or without the legal parameters of its regulations, endlessly scheme to close roads. However, DOI's endless scheming comes at the expense of its legitimacy. Why should recreationists feel any moral duty to obey road closures under land use plans when DOI itself immediately forswears such land use plans? Why should recreationists stay off closed roads when there is no evidence that DOI will ever cease hatching new schemes to close roads? Why should recreationists obey a bureaucracy that manipulates in favor of certain groups?

One currently favored group, Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA), has just petitioned DOI, via the Bureau of Land Management, to subvert its new land use plans by another tactic. SUWA has demanded that BLM immediately close over a thousand miles of roads open under the land use plans until new environmental analyses demanded by SUWA can be completed. Yet DOI has just completed extensive environmental impact statements as part of the land use planning processes that determined that these roads should be left open to motorized use.

Ironically, SUWA's petition cites a 2009 GAO study in which a retired Forest Service bureaucrat stated, "We are suffering from a major breakdown in attitude from sadly a high percentage of off-roaders." However, major breakdowns in attitude directly correlate to never-ending road closures by bureaucracies that give environmental groups never-ending bites of the apple. SUWA's petition itself ensures a major breakdown in attitude, if and when bureaucrats act upon it.

Voluntary obedience is critical for cash-strapped agencies governing millions of acres of lands. Agency law enforcement actions could never substitute for lost voluntary compliance, should motorized recreationists disregard DOI's land use plans as ephemeral hoaxes.

Paul Mortensen

(Note: For those who don't know Paul is USA-ALL's one-time part-time lawyer)

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
A good comment but the answer for us is still getting things passed through congress that protect our way of life and I think de-funding the Wild Lands 3110 thing from Salazar is a good start. This type of information will help our image and maybe help de-fund groups like Suwa.

Response by Heidi McIntosh

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700128583/Off-road-riders-have-plenty-of-space.html

Off-road riders have plenty of space

Published: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:32 p.m. MDT By Heidi McIntosh

That off-road vehicle (ORV) riders too often flout the rules on public lands is well known. A 2002 survey by Utah State University showed that 39 percent of All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) and 50 percent of motorcycle riders responded that they rode off-trail in their most recent trip. And in a 2009 survey, 79 percent of Bureau of Land Management (BLM) managers said they could not sustainably manage existing ORV areas and talked about the challenges they face trying to enforce rules in remote areas.

In a recent column ("The debate over federal land use," My View, April 13), attorney and ORV advocate Paul Mortensen excused off-road vehicle riders for violating the rules governing where they can and can't ride simply because he disagrees with BLM's lawful authority to protect pristine, quiet lands in their natural condition. Most of us know that breaking the law is not OK simply because you disagree with it.

Mortensen justifies excusing the scofflaws by citing "wave after wave" of "never-ending road closures." The facts show otherwise. In BLM's 2008 land use plans for just the eastern half of Utah, the agency designated a full 20,000 miles of ORV routes — that's four-fifths of Earth's circumference. BLM even paid ORV advocates to use GPS units to identify the trails they wanted and then BLM put those trails on the maps. What more could ORV users want?

As for the impacts of ORV use on archaeological sites, fragile soils, riparian areas, wildlife, air and the experience of everyone else, the BLM never evaluated them.

That's exactly why Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA) asked the BLM to protect some of its most vulnerable and valuable lands, those surrounding Canyonlands National Park, from ORV damage. In our petition (which includes the stats listed above), we asked the BLM to go back and do its homework before allowing excessive ORV use in this remarkable country. That includes taking another look at protecting the magnificently scenic places that are so important for wildlife, water and our own heritage.

ORV use, while perhaps appropriate in some places (even our petition would leave nearly 1,400 out of 2,400 miles open to ORV use), is extraordinarily destructive when not managed properly and kept out of the places that are simply too fragile to handle it. BLM needs to start doing a better job in this department, and the ORV riders themselves need to follow the rules. I think most riders will agree. Mortensen should recant his position which only encourages destructive behavior and damages the reputation of law-abiding ORV users.

Heidi McIntosh is an associate director at Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance.

ID Bronco

I used to really try hard to follow all of this, send letters, call Congresmen, donate money, all of it and I just simply could not control my rage at banging my head against the wall only to have it bloodied worse by enviromentalist B.S.

I agree with Paul totally and I want to scream when I read this Mcintosh's comments. I applaud you Scoutabout for keeping up on this and not giving up on it. It will be a few very persistant individuals who will win this fight in the end. I do believe it is winnable but there will continue to be casualties. GO PAUL MORTENSEN!

ret32

Response by Heidi McIntosh said:
...A 2002 survey by Utah State University showed that 39 percent of All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) and 50 percent of motorcycle riders responded that they rode off-trail in their most recent trip...
In 2002, most BLM land in Utah was open to cross country travel, so riding "off-trail," although perhaps frowned upon, was not necessarily illegal. There were no decent maps, the routes were not well signed, and BLM regulations were not well advertised nor well understood by the general public.

...And in a 2009 survey, 79 percent of Bureau of Land Management (BLM) managers said they could not sustainably manage existing ORV areas and talked about the challenges they face trying to enforce rules in remote areas...
In 2009, the 2008 RMPs had not yet been fully implemented (maps, signs, etc). Today, many of the 2008 RMPs have still not been fully implemented (thanks to suits from SUWA against the BLM). The respondants from 2008 RMP areas could not have been speaking of post-2008 RMP conditions, since they had not had time to implement the RMP nor observe the resultant changes in usage due to the 2008 RMPs. The respondants from non-2008 RMP areas will have their chance to remedy their management challenges, with public input, when they undergo their own RMP processes.

...In BLM's 2008 land use plans for just the eastern half of Utah, the agency designated a full 20,000 miles of ORV routes — that's four-fifths of Earth's circumference. BLM even paid ORV advocates to use GPS units to identify the trails they wanted and then BLM put those trails on the maps. What more could ORV users want?...
These 20,000 miles (we'll go with your number, I didn't add them all up, but it sounds about right) of trails constitute roughly 1/2 of the total mileage of routes that existed PRIOR to the 2008 RMPs. What more could ORV users want? How about for those 20,000 miles of routes that were closed by the 2008 RMPs to be reopened (which still exist, by the way--erasing them from the map did not erase them from the ground). How about no more additional route closures. We are not asking to build new roads, we are asking to continue to use the routes that are already there.

Since Ms. McIntosh wishes to bring in silly and unrelated analogies, how about this? If each of those 20,000 miles of routes is 20 feet wide (most are less), then they cover a total of 77,088 acres of land. In contrast, what does SUWA want? Somewhere in the neighborhood of 9,000,000 acres for the exclusive use of hikers. So, if you stretch that 9,000,000 acres into a ribbon 20 feet wide, it will stretch around the circumference of the earth 93 times (using Heidi's math with respect to the circumference of the earth, which I did not verify). Silly comparison, I know. But hey, apples for apples.

...In our petition (which includes the stats listed above), we asked the BLM to go back and do its homework before allowing excessive ORV use in this remarkable country...
Allowing excessive ORV use? They cut it in half already. Give them a chance to implement it (stop suing them).

...(even our petition would leave nearly 1,400 out of 2,400 miles open to ORV use)...
You're forgetting the roads that were closed already, so it's really probably something like 1,400 out of 4,800.

...ORV use...is extraordinarily destructive when not managed properly and kept out of the places that are simply too fragile to handle it...
An existing designated route is too fragile to handle ORV use? I repeat, erasing a route from the map will not erase it on the ground. The damage was done when the route was created. Now that the route exists, allowing the ORV to travel the route damages the route?

...[The] BLM needs to start doing a better job in this department...
Allow them to implement their 2008 RMPs and they can. Hold the RMPs up through lawsuits and their hands are tied for years.

...and the ORV riders themselves need to follow the rules. I think most riders will agree...
Agreed. Those who ride "off-route" need to be held accountable. Have the BLM deputize the both of us and I will happily go out side by side with you and lay down the harshest punishment allowed by law to those who we find traveling off-route (assuming the tools are in place for the average user to easily know what is on route and what is off-route). I will gladly join you in lobbying Congress to increase the punishments to those who travel off-route. In exchange, the law-abiding motorized users should be allowed access to ALL existing routes, not just the ones that the BLM chooses here and there.

...Mortensen should recant his position which only encourages destructive behavior and damages the reputation of law-abiding ORV users...
Riding an ORV down a road is not destructive behavior. Telling ORV users to fight for their rights does not damage the reputation of law-abiding ORV users. ORV users need to law down the law with the public land agencies and fight harder than ever to keep as many routes open as possible. The BLM needs to stop closing routes.

Last edited:
It will be a few very persistant individuals who will win this fight in the end.

I'm pretty sure we are losing and will lose the 'battle' for motorized access, but I'm enjoying it while I can. :)

The BLM needs to stop closing routes.

Some great points in your post. I didn't read most of it, but the parts I did read were great. That would make a great rebuttal to submit to the DesNews.

zukijames

If all the people who think we are horrible and don't careabout nature would spend 5 mins on this forum they would know we do everything we can to keep the trails and nature open.

They'd realize it's the guys renting jeeps and atvs that don't know how to drive so they have to bypass parts of the trail.

Go do hells revenge look at the tracks going off to nowhere through the sand.

You won't see any many Krawler and Swamper tracks .. For the most part you see atv and street tires.. Yes some rock crawlers do go off the trail but it's not us.. It's the people coming from other states with the attitude.. Well I'll never be here again who cares if it gets closed I'll do whatever I want.

I stay out of this land use stuff because I get too upset.

But after living in Moab for a year I've seen who's doing what.. And it's not us damaging the wilderness..

Moab rim trail.. Off to the side there is spots with no vegetation.. Just shoe tracks.. Hikers do tons of damage and think they can go where ever they want.go to arches park. The signs say stay on trail and there is 1004868. People on the other side of the sign taking pictures of a rock

Dirtbikes.. I've seen from down the trail many dirt bikes struggle on obstacles than just drive through the brush and go around