Desert buggy idea

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So I've had this idea kicking around, thought I'd jot it down here and share it with all you lucky folks. :p

I think it would be neat to build something (not sure what to call it!) like a desert buggy, for exploring the open desert out here in Western CO. Bigger than a side by side, cooler than an old school VW buggy. 2 seats and room for the dog and a cooler. Here's my idea...

-Independent front suspension with long A-arms, rear trailing arm suspension, air shocks on all 4 corners.

-Corvair 6 cyl engine (air cooled!), with a turbo, burning propane. Should be good for 180-200 hp! :greg:

-33x10.5x15 Mud tires all the way around.

-Perhaps a winch in the front, for when things get too crazy. :D

I think something like that would be a blast to burn around in the desert with. The gears in my head have been turning, trying to figure out how to do something like this.

Hunt

There are a ton of older Corvair powered sand rails all over Craigslist. Pick your poison. They are already independent rear. Most are running a beam front but a long A-arm would not be hard to fab into most of the chassis. Something to look into and get the creative juices flowing.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'd run 2" receivers front/rear, and mount a inboard 2" receiver out of the way to store a winch in a portable tray.. That way you have more options for recovery.

I can see it now, a buggy similar to the Wide Open buggies, with roofrack for extra storage.. Do it!

1103or_19_+wide_open_nevada_tour_race_buggy+custom_vehicle.jpg

Last edited:

ricsrx

buggy

Ya me too, growing up in Price my first passion is tooling around in the dessert:

Some day i will finish

DSC00703.jpg

And then some day I will finish this one

Tscamera903.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Lots of VW type rails on KSL all day long. Cheap. That's probably what I should buy, since I'll never go rock crawling again. :hickey:

bryce

Richard Crainium
I am not a big fan of the VW power plant or Covair. I dont know what the open desert in Colorado is like, if it is any thing like open desert in Ut then I wouldn't be caught dead with a VW powerplant. Actually i would probably be found dead and rotting. ;)
I blew three VW engines in as many years. I installed a subaru engine and I have started my fourth season with that engine, no problems. I found that the VW suspension rides great for cruising down a dirt road. My VW based buggy goes wherever I point it and hasn't been stuck yet.
No matter what you build, dont forget to tell someone where you are going and when they should expect you to return.

bryce

Richard Crainium
One more quick thought. I go sand duning with guys that run VW. For the last three years, serveral trips a year, I drive my buggy onto the trailer while my buddies push thier buggies onto the trailer.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
My first off-road experiences that I can remember started in sand rails. I remember having blocks taped to my feet (or was it the pedals?) so I could drive on the dunes. Good memories.

I've always had the urge to get back into one but I just can't justify another hobby like that yet. Man they are fun... and safe enough to let a youngster drive (at least that's what my parents though! :D)

ricsrx

The first pic i posted of the yellow buggy is all subaru legacy motor and awd drive train. should be a blast on the dirt roads