Desert Therapy Session Jan 5-7

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Last edited:

DAA

I'd like to do the overnight version. I'm kind of doubtful I can get all my crap in the right pile in time to go though. My Jeep needs a little reassembly and I don't know if I'll have time to get it ready.

- DAA

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
FWIW I’m absolutely the worst for planning trips. You can ask Kevin 😬. When I roll solo usually just point the truck somewhere and end up where I end up. If anyone has suggestions or stuff they’d like to see or do certainly chime in. Have a couple spots I like to camp beyond that I’m just happy to be in my happy place.

Only caveat, I’ll be in my F*rd so I’d like to keep the body panels straight.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
We have a rough plan. It's very rough, I haven't been on a good portion of these roads. Depending on weather and what they look like when we put eyeballs on them, I'd say that improvisation at some point is likely. Long stretches will be high speed dirt, but definitely some high-clearance 4WD too. Capable stock pickups and SUVs should be fine. Subarus and crossovers will be mercilessly mocked and fed to the wolves. For reference, I'm in a Excursion with open diffs and Josh is in a stock Superduty with a giant farking camper on the back, so...

Friday: leave SLC morningish, hit dirt at Castle Dale, and Plan A is to cross the San Rafael at Fuller Bottom, work our way down into Coal Wash towards Eagle Canyon, and cross under the freeway and camp somewhere down Reds Valley, probably at the base of Tomsich if nobody else is there first. Anybody who wants to join us for this piece could meet us anywhere between SLC and the four way at the top of Buckhorn. Plan B is to come down another way (Buckhorn, probably) if we don't like the crossing at Fuller, and if we look at the section of Secret Mesa between the bottom of Eva Connover and Eagle Canyon and don't like that we'll jump on I70 real quick. Depending on how much time is left after we get under I70, we might visit Lucky Strike or Rods Canyon before finding camp or we might just park up and start drinking go to bed early. If anybody wants to come find us that night, speak up and we'll figure out a way to get found.

Saturday: Josh hasn't been to Copper Globe, so that's the plan. I want to backtrack to Eagle Canyon and take Secret Mesa across to Justensen Flat. I have consulted DAA The Oracle, and The Oracle thinks that section is going to be too spicy for stockers averse to body damage. If so, the more capable rigs can do it anyway while the weenies (cough@TRD270cough) bypass on I70. Either way we'll head into Copper Globe from Justensen Flat (and if you're meeting us to day trip this section, that's the spot). From Copper Globe we'll keep going south through Cat Canyon and eventually fetch Cathedral Valley. Cathedral Valley is so freakin' cool in the winter. We'll camp somewhere on BLM land down there (day trippers can make an easy exit through Capitol Reef and to highway 24 from there, or back up across Mussentuchit to I70, it's about 30 miles of relatively high speed dirt either way).

Sunday: dunno. Whatever. Maybe find more dirt, maybe a hike in Capitol Reef, maybe just a burger at Rays? The possibilities are mind boggling.

I'll work up a .gpx in a bit.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Fine I’ll bring the Jeep and sleep on the ground. But you’re responsible for my tools because I haven’t figure that out yet…. And I’ll have to use a cooler… feel like a troglodyte

And I’ll be on an HT
No no, bring the truck. I don't wanna be the fuse. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: DAA

Thursty

I’m a strong “maybe” for this. I would be in for a day trip on Saturday a could meet at Justensen Flat, just need to know what time and where (exactly). I’ll be in my ‘17 F150 on 285s. I’ll post here on Thursday if I’m in or out for sure.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Fix it pass isn't bad at all. I did this route this past spring. I want to do Devils Race Track, but my daughter and SIL are coming in their 4 runner that only has a small lift and the rocker guards on it have a step on them and I know they will drag on that one step down, so we are just going to go the easier route so they don't have any issues.