detriot locker binding too much?

muddin77

A year and a half ago I had a set of detroit lockers installed in my 1977 blazer ( Dana 44 front and 12 bolt rear 4:56 gear). I have not used it in just under a year. I recently changed the oil and went to run the front in 4 wheel drive, once I locked the hubs and put in 4 high the front binded to a point it would stop the truck at idle. It sounds like a loud pop and bind. This happens in a straight line with 4 wheel engaged and with hubs locked and when the transfer case is in 2 wheel as well. I know people say that lockers will pop, but this sounds and feels wrong to the point it gives goose bumps. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
-Dan

muddin77

it does not bind in any certain spot. But like i say it binds to the point I dont want to give it gas. does it maybe need another break in period from being n/o all summer?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Did you ever rotate the ring and pinion while it sat for this year? Did you look at the gears to make sure they weren't rusted? Sounds like a problem with it to be so bound up as to not let you even drive.

muddin77

I took off the cover, everything looked good from what I could see. I have never taken one of them apart and I dont know much about the internals. I let it pop a few times and the pop was good enough to shake snow off the front tire. I drove in drive and reverse about 2 blocks both ways on snow/ frozen dirt. I think I am going to have to take the cover off and let the tires turn to see if I can see more. Intrested tho if anyone has had similar issues.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Did it work in 4WD before the detroits? Were the 4.56's installed at the same time? It sounds like mismatched gears front to rear.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
If teh contact of the pinion to ring is too loose then yes it would pop like that, but if it sat there for a year some thing could of siezed then broke in the locker but unlikley check how far the pinion is in and the back lash, pinion nut may be loose

muddin77

WOW!! complete over look! The axle u-joint was done for. I dont know if it was dark out or what made me over look it but thank god it is not the locker. Thanks to all that replied!:rofl:

muddin77

yes! you can only imagine how happy I was. Now I just have to find an open garage to do it. The truck doesnt fit in a regular garage. I have been using the on-base hobby shop that has tall bay doors, but they are having work done and dont have a date to when the will have it open.