Detroit Locker not locking

jgb

Was driving down the road and came to a stop sign. Stopped and then started driving again, heard a clunk right after take-off and after that the truck did not drive right the rest of the way home. Yesterday took it into some gravel and only the passenger side rear tire spins out, the drivers side tire did nothing but roll. No noises heard. Detroit is about a year and a half old.

Where would be a good shop to take it to for diagnosis and repair? Six States?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I would pull the axle shaft to be sure one didn't break considering it's been converted to full float. The only thing that usually cause it to stop working would be if you destroyed a set of clutch gears.

Detroit_exploded-view.jpg

They are not hard to work on. The hardest part is getting the carrier out of the housing but you having a 9" makes that part easy enough. The hard part for you would be making sure the preload doesn't change while taking out and putting back the actual locker.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
When my detroit died it was from the 8 bolts holding it together grenaded. Every few weeks I would have a loud pop. After my jeep finally stopped moving and I figured out what it was, I counted how many times I had heard the loud bang from the back and there was 8 of them. Hopefully it wasn't your first bolt to go. Maybe you can pop the cover off and see if there is any metal shaving in the bottom. That's my experience with my detroit, it was in a 44.