detroit locker ?

G

i just orderd the soft locker i want to get some imput on it like or dislike and why i also orderd the superior axle shafts this is going in to my 91 xj dana 44 runnin 33" tires

matt:D

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Run one in my Wifes XJ, She drove it daily for 6 years, now I drive it daily. No problems (with the Detroit, plenty with the motor). A short learning curve, but you won't even notice it after a week or so. Especially if you have an auto trans.
You do need to use posi additive/friction modifier withe the soft locks.

Marc

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Originally posted by rckcrlr
Run one in my Wifes XJ, She drove it daily for 6 years, now I drive it daily. No problems (with the Detroit, plenty with the motor). A short learning curve, but you won't even notice it after a week or so. Especially if you have an auto trans.
You do need to use posi additive/friction modifier withe the soft locks.

Marc
I don't beleive you need to run a additive. They do not have clutches in them just stronger springs and other minor differences. The manuals that came with mine say to use the regular lube recomended by the axle manufacturer. Are you thinking of the gearless locker?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
You could be right, but as I remember the soft lockers asked for modifier. All the ones I run are non-soft locks, either bought them long ago (44), or HD 35 spline applications in the 9" and 60 are not made in soft version to my knowledge.
Marc

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I have a 35 spline Dana 60 softlocker. 225SL29A. SL is for softlocker. I cant find a regular detroit listed for dana 60s. They do not have a SL for 35 spline 9"s.

Last edited:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Originally posted by rckcrlr
My 60 detriot was NOS non soft locker, not that it matters much, just what I like, because it is what I have had for years.
I am sure you would like the softlocker too. I think they are actually missnamed. They actually drive stiffer and seem to lockup quicker. I have never been thown into the next lane like used to happen when I ran the old style.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
What the hell am I trying to say? I have no idea!!!!
Must be the cold medicine!! Or hanging around B too much!!

Ok lets try this. Clrify what I meant to say.....

Never mind, I am an idiot, I have no idea what I meant to say......
I have no idea what I am talking about.

I need sleep......
And more Robotusin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!