detroit or spool

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
it's not horrible on the street but very noticeable

It might just be the wheelbase, but on our short ride, that was a LOT more noticeable than the Detroit in my Blazer.... which, by the way, is nearly unnoticeable, despite what lots of people told me to expect. It chirps on really tight turns, or if I get on it in a turn-- other than that, no pops, bangs, etc.

:D That spool wasn't awful on the street but I'd imagine it chewing up tires, silently, the whole time. :eek: :rofl:

00harpdawg

well i think i'm just going to do spools front and rear for now their cheap strong and don't have to worry about them breaking worst case i decide to do a detroit in the rear and arb front i'm only out $240 right now i'm just trying to get it done and wheelable then i'll start doing things like that when the extra money comes around

dstrbd1

If I were to do it all over again I would of put a spool in my rear axle over the lock rite I have now. I don't think I would spool or weld the front though. Unless you want to unlock a hub all the time to steer. The clanging and banging gets to be a real pain from a ratcheting locker. Not to mention that one time you are backing out of your spot in the parking lot and it decides to release causing everybody within earshot to hit the ground in fear of being shot. For years I ran an aussie in the front with twin sticks it worked great almost like having a selectable. Even though I am not really a fan of selectable lockers either (I prefer reliability) I have to admit it is kinda nice having the ARB up front now.

Last edited:

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I'd suggest a Aussie Locker in the front. It won't be as harsh as a spool and it won't snap shafts, joints or hubs if it breaks, like a Detroit will. The Dana 60 Aussie Locker is beefy, you won't break it and it won't come apart & ruin your gears like a welded diff can.

Gotta agree with Greg on this. RedbullTJ has been running a HPD60 lunchbox with alloy shafts and 40" stickies for years. No signs of wear on the locker, pin, or carrier. Not bad for under $300.00

Spools in the rear aren't too bad, they suck in the front since they dont turn for sh*t.

It might just be the wheelbase, but on our short ride, that was a LOT more noticeable than the Detroit in my Blazer.... which, by the way, is nearly unnoticeable, despite what lots of people told me to expect. It chirps on really tight turns, or if I get on it in a turn-- other than that, no pops, bangs, etc.

:D That spool wasn't awful on the street but I'd imagine it chewing up tires, silently, the whole time. :eek: :rofl:

I rarely notice the detroit in the rear axle, and never notice the lockrite in the front. Love them both.

Brett