Devil's Lane-Bobby's Hole-Elephant Hill

mountain man

Hi all...Does anyone know of the current conditions of Bobby's Hole on Devils Lane, and Elephant Hill. I have a stock 1993 4x4 Ford Explorer with low range. I have no other modifications. I want to see the confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers. I know their is a hiking trail to there but I would like to try to get there via the Devils Lane, and Bobby's Hole road or Elephant Hill. Are my suggested roads to tough for my Explorer?

Anyone have information on the 4x4 road to Hotel Rock...would this road be to tough for my Explorer? Any advce or information would be appreciated.

Thank you so much...

Mountain Man

sixstringsteve

A lot depends on your driving ability. Elephant hill would be fine in a stock explorer with a capable driver.

I haven't been to bobbys hole for a year or two, but it was pretty torn up when I was there last. (4' deep ruts), tons of erosion.

The confluence is kinda anti climactic, but everyone should see it once in their life. The joint trail hike, on the other hand, is amazing.

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I just went through it Elephant Hill about two weeks ago. It was really dry. I made it through fine in my Disco, It's really not a hard trail.

My wife took this sweet photo on The Silver Staircase

11196354_10153333078943112_4126341798099780640_n.jpg

mountain man

Sawtooth4x4: Thanks for your reply and info. If I may ask...when you say Elephant Hill is really not a hard trail, can that statement be applied to my stock 1993 4x4 Explorer? Do you know of others that have taken a stock Explorer over Elephant Hill? Will the Explorer, in your opinion, make it over all the obstacles on the Elephant Hill trail? I have noticed that the clearance on the Explorer is not as high as I see on your Disco. Will that present a problem for my Explorer? I would love to take this trail but do not want to push the limits of the Explorer and cause damage...which I know is always possible with any 4x4. Your thoughts if you have the time to respond. Thank you so much.

sixstringsteve

it's more about your driving ability than the vehicle. If this is your first 4x4 experience, expect to scrape in a few spots. If you've done a lot of trails like this in the past, it shouldn't be a problem. There are rocks and ledges about basketball size on this trail.

Here's our video from the trip we took a few years back. Elephant hill starts at 4:36. Bobby's hole, before the big damage, can be seen at 9:11

[video=youtube;Y_Djsp4jBt4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Djsp4jBt4[/video]

Last edited:

mountain man

Thanks for your response sixstringsteve...I appreciate it. Are there any concerns that I should be aware of if I take the 1993 4x4 Explorer over Elephant Hill? I have noticed the Explorer does not have the high clearance as other 4x4's. Will this be a problem for Me? Do you think the Explorer will be able to handle all of the obstacles on Elephant Hill to and from the confluence? Any additional info would be appreciated. By the way, I have 4x4ed in Colorado so I do have some 4x4 experience. I just don't want to tackle a road beyond the capability of my stock Explorer. Your opinion and advice is appreciated. Thanks again.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Do you have taller tires then stock. I seem to remember the Explorers to have low diff's. Seems like they are pretty close to the ground.

And the more I think about it, I wouldn't take a completely stock Explorer through the whole thing. The beginning of the trail is pretty easy. Its what comes after that gets harder. I'm on 32's and and 2-3" of lift. I also have high pinion diffs.