diesel engine swap

sibeta

Anybody out there familiar with diesel swaps? i want to slap in a 2L toyota diesel into my toyota but cant find one. I found 2 good Isuzu motors but I am wondering about an adapter to a 5 speed toyota tranny. Has anybody seen a swap like this? Or does anybody have a good idea for swap that would be easier, like a VW diesel or something.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Check out this sweety one of my suppliers has...

4cylturbo.jpg

4 cylinder, Toyota TURBO diesel... mates to the OEM Toy 5 speeds. :D:D:D

Just needs the diesel bellhousing (which I may be able to get...)

cheapzuk

How much does he want for it?

As far as I know the toyota mini-trucks never came with a diesel in the US. I am looking into putting a vw deisel into my samurai but it might not have enough power for a truck.

sibeta

cruiseroutfit said:
Check out this sweety one of my suppliers has...

4cylturbo.jpg

4 cylinder, Toyota TURBO diesel... mates to the OEM Toy 5 speeds. :D:D:D

Just needs the diesel bellhousing (which I may be able to get...)

What does he want for it? How much do they weigh?

sibeta

cheapzuk said:
How much does he want for it?

As far as I know the toyota mini-trucks never came with a diesel in the US. I am looking into putting a vw deisel into my samurai but it might not have enough power for a truck.

does someone already make an adapter for the VW engine swap to a zuk tranny or something? What tranny are you going to use. I wouldnt be opposed to going to a VW but i am not sure of what options are available.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
cheapzuk said:
As far as I know the toyota mini-trucks never came with a diesel in the US. ....

They did, I still see them for sell from time-time, pretty scarce at this point...

The motor I posted above is a low-milage import that made its way here with some cruiser parts... not 100% on the vintage/price but I will find out more. I know I sat and drolled on it for a few minutes... may have more than one available...

cheapzuk

They do make an adapter for the vw to samurai trans. I am actually going to try to make my own adapter to mate a yota trans to the vw. Does anybody know if the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same for the older vw diesels (like the 1.6) as it is for the newer TDI.

tuck

spud crawler
cheapzuk said:
They do make an adapter for the vw to samurai trans. I am actually going to try to make my own adapter to mate a yota trans to the vw. Does anybody know if the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same for the older vw diesels (like the 1.6) as it is for the newer TDI.

www.vwvortex.com

www.tdiclub.com

i think the bolt pattern should be the same... but i'm not 100% sure..

sibeta

cheapzuk said:

Let me know what you decide to do. I would be very interested in seeing how it comes together. I think I would have much better luck in finding a VW diesel than an 2L-T which are expensive. If you do make an adapter, hook me up and make 2. I would compensate ya. I have a stock 5 speed out of an 81 toyota, what tranny are you going to use to make the adapter?

sibeta

cruiseroutfit said:
They did, I still see them for sell from time-time, pretty scarce at this point...

The motor I posted above is a low-milage import that made its way here with some cruiser parts... not 100% on the vintage/price but I will find out more. I know I sat and drolled on it for a few minutes... may have more than one available...

Crusieroutfit any word on a price of the 2L-T and availability of a diesel bellhousing?

cheapzuk

I have a tranny from an 85 (g52 i think) that I am going to adapt. It is probably the same tranny or atleast the same bellhousing as an 81. It is going to be a while before I do the swap though because I have to get my suspension built first.