Diesel Toyota truck?

dabruin15

Dabruin15
I am trying to get some info on the diesel 1980's trucks. I didnt even know they existed until a month ago. I have been trying to find some info about them but I havnt been able to. Does anyone know anything about them? Or know wher I can find one?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Other than the motor they are the same as the gas spec truck. They pop up in the classifieds from time to time, in fact there was one for sale here on RME for months...

They were available from ~ 81'-85', in either the 2L or 2LT (turbo)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
(US wise...)The diesel 4x4's started in 84 with a non turbo, then in 85 they introduced the turbo model (2x4 diesels where avaliable prior to 84, but where a smaller displacement). They pop up often, but usually when I don't have any money :rolleyes:

My neighbor has a IFS turbo diesel pickup that you can hear the turbo whine from a block away, and has no idea what its worth! but he won't sell it...:sick:

FYI: they where only avalible in the long bed models and no 4-runners.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
P.S. I'm almost certain my neighbors truck is an 87... which means that in that year you could get a 4x4 with a carberated 22R, a EFI 22RE, a Turbo 22RTE (gas), a 3.0 V6, and a 2L turbo diesel... seams like a lot of (cool) options!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
P.S. I'm almost certain my neighbors truck is an 87... which means that in that year you could get a 4x4 with a carberated 22R, a EFI 22RE, a Turbo 22RTE (gas), a 3.0 V6, and a 2L turbo diesel... seams like a lot of (cool) options!

Hmmm, I've never seen a US spec IFS with a 2L or 2LT, though I havn't looked very hard. It is VERY possible that your neighbors truck came into the US via Canada, where many, many, many Toyota diesels come into the US. Really the only way to tell would be to track the VIN.

Of the handful of OE Toyota deisels I know of here in town, everyone of them is an import, most coming through Canada as they are nearing the age of legal importation. Alot of rigs are starting to trickly in from S. America too... I had a customer stop by a few weeks ago with a pair of Columbian Landcruisers, and there are a handful of rigs out of Costa Rica here in town too.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
I am trying to get some info on the diesel 1980's trucks. I didnt even know they existed until a month ago. I have been trying to find some info about them but I havnt been able to. Does anyone know anything about them? Or know wher I can find one?

Drop me a message and I'll give ya more Toy Diesel info that you can handle

dan

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Of the handful of OE Toyota deisels I know of here in town, everyone of them is an import, most coming through Canada as they are nearing the age of legal importation. Alot of rigs are starting to trickly in from S. America too... I had a customer stop by a few weeks ago with a pair of Columbian Landcruisers, and there are a handful of rigs out of Costa Rica here in town too.

My neighbor knows VERY little english, but I have seen all his vehicles they include a Jeep XJ with the (rare) factory Turbo diesel, the IFS Toyota TD, a late 70's datsun diesel N/A, and he had a Isuzu I-mark (Chevette kind of) diesel that my brother and I bought for a Samurai engine swap.

My quess is that the truck was imported also. Man what a diesel nut! Too bad the XJ diesel has such a bad reputation....

forotacobra

5.0 INJECTED TOY
i have found one trying to talk them out of it . it has been rolled so only good part would be drive train. i will keep you posted i have no need for the motor if you interested we can work something out