Diesel

jdub

Scrambler
Some cigarette smoke smells different than others sometimes because of brands, Is that the case with diesel fuel?

I have smelt the same exhaust out of a ford and a dodge.

What is the difference in burnt diesel smell?

jdub

Scrambler
I know it will eventually give me cancer, but there is one flavor of diesel that I could smell all day long. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing. Good memories surround that smell. Some others just stink.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Yes, different blends of base stock from different refineries smell distinctintly different. Also the combustion temperatures vary from make to make, that also affects it.

#1 Diesel will smell different and burn cooler than #2 due to it's high kerosene content.

JLRockies is correct, emissions and egr crap also play a role. Most IDI, non emissioned equipment smells similar.

It is definitely the temperatures reached during combustion and/or after treatment. Are any of the rest of you old enough to remember what the two-stroke detroit diesel's smelled like? All of the city busses in the 60's and 70's had them. It was a distinct smell. My unimog puts out eye-burning exhaust when it is cold and after it warms up, it smells like no other diesel engine around.

Bart

When I used to drive truck I was amazed at the difference in smell between a Cummins or Cat and a Detroit Diesel. Same fuel, way different smell. The DD has almost a sickly sweet smell to it.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Get ready for BIO Diesel at the pumps, Still trying to find out who or what had to go "without" to make this happen. Sorta like when cows go hungry due to the government making us feed our cars 10% corn.
Thanks EPA Tards.

R

rockdog

It is definitely the temperatures reached during combustion and/or after treatment. Are any of the rest of you old enough to remember what the two-stroke detroit diesel's smelled like? All of the city busses in the 60's and 70's had them. It was a distinct smell. My unimog puts out eye-burning exhaust when it is cold and after it warms up, it smells like no other diesel engine around.
Yup, I remember the detroits well. Worked on an oil barge on the Great Salt Lake in the early 80's. Had to ride out from the man camp in a steel hulled boat with two v8 detroits in it. There was a piece of plywood between us and them screaming sob's. I'm sure I lost a lot of my hearing on that job.:ugh: