diff covers

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I'm with you, Shane. My stock front 60 cover (STOCK, not even strap or anything welded to it) has held up to three years of competition and a bunch of tough trails. It's dented, but not enough to touch the ring gear. I'll prolly just weld some 1/8" strap over the ring gear on my new stock one. Can't really see spending any real money on a diff conver... :confused:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Herzog said:
Am I the only one that thinks if you need a diff cover that strong, you are gonna have problems elsewhere? I mean, when in the world are you gonna smash your diff into a boulder going above 30 mph and not have some other complications elsewhere, such as one messed up suspension and bent housings?

Over kill is cool, but man... where do you draw the line?

I run stock thick Dana covers with a strap of 3/16" welded to it. I've smash that thing into many rocks and it's holding up fine. Didn't cost me a dime either.

I think you have a really good point here. too much IS too much, BUT I will tell you that I love the idea of fixing something once and not worrying about it. (You hopefully don't have to fix a dana 35 too many times before you just throw it away and upgrade...) :rofl:

Also, I have been with a buddy who caught a cheesy sharp rock that missed his strap and we spent the rest of the trail trying to keep diff fluid in it to avoid cooking something... SUCKED BAD. :mad: :eek:

Now I have a prefectly good excuse to upgrade to something (I already put a serious dent in the front 60) to a point where I don't have to be the one borrowing 90W, :(

and the best part I can do both of the redneck diff covers for the cost of ONE crane cover, :greg:

Just thought you were wondering what I was thinking...:D

ZUK

Jinx said:
Hey everyone,
I seem to have found a new dent in my front diff cover on my 60, luckily no leaks, just ugly potential problem and good oportunity to upgrade to something bigger and badder! :D

What are you all running?

Where did you get it?

What would you do different?

General Comments, etc...

Let me know...

thanks,

Jinx----It's also possible to make your own for a buck.......
diff4.jpg