Diff setup troubles

bretto

Willytime
I spent nearly 16hrs this weekend dinkin around trying to get a good gear pattern in my D44. To give some background, these are used gears but out of the same case they came from. I was just changing the carrier bearings. I can get a relatively nice pattern centered on the drive side but the coast side is less than desirable where it sits high and toward toe. I even have the backlash to the max between 9-10 thou. I'm at the end of my rope. I was stupid and didn't measure or take a pattern reading before I changed the bearings to get a reference. Should I be happy with a good drive side?:-\

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Without checking it prior, I would say as good as it gets is good enough. The max 9-10 thou. is also for new gears. Used ones who knows but they could have been out there.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I did a link for a site for setting up used gears but i cant remember what the site was but 8 to 12 thousands is acceptable

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Pinion looks a tad shallow. If you thin the marking compound with gear oil, it'll make it easier-to-read the pattern.

bretto

Willytime
COAST booo
IMG_0275.jpg

DRIVE
IMG_0273.jpg

DRIVE
IMG_0270.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Huh...yeah, I see your concern. Used gears can be a PITA sometimes.

I'd go with the best drive-side pattern, since it's a rear.