Differential Case Spreader?

ihscout2

Before I go to the trouble and expense of fabricating a case spreader, does anyone else have one that they would be willing to loan or rent to me for a few hours? I'm working on a Dana44.

thanks

Paul

650-483-7121 cell

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
It really is not needed....
I have done a ton, and worked in shops that did several a day, never used or seen any one use them....Infact I don't know of a local shop that uses one....
Couple big bars and a big dead blow is all I ever use....
Except one time I was alone and had a really tight carrier in a 44, used a come-a-long to pop it out:eek: :rofl:

ihscout2

Case spreader

Thanks for the feedback. Taking it out wasn't too difficult...the problem is actually with the carrier going back in. I have a tight Dana 44 case with new shims and bearings. The races won't seat fully in case recesses. Any thoughts?

rckcrlr said:
It really is not needed....
I have done a ton, and worked in shops that did several a day, never used or seen any one use them....Infact I don't know of a local shop that uses one....
Couple big bars and a big dead blow is all I ever use....
Except one time I was alone and had a really tight carrier in a 44, used a come-a-long to pop it out:eek: :rofl:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
ihscout2 said:
Thanks for the feedback. Taking it out wasn't too difficult...the problem is actually with the carrier going back in. I have a tight Dana 44 case with new shims and bearings. The races won't seat fully in case recesses. Any thoughts?

Bigger dead blow....or put it in the freezer for a couple hours....

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
1993yj said:
I only use them on the D30 when installing an ARB, just to get a pit more pre-load on the bearings.
Ditto..
I only use the spreader on diffs that use outer shims, just so I can get it a bit tighter without damaging the shims.

DrDan

remove .015-020 shims from the non ring gear side of the carrier as this is the normal pre-load called for from Dana/spicer, I think you will find 99% of the gear men will not use much preload at all anymore. once they get the pattern and back lash they call it good, Not right but true.

78mitsu

When I set up gears in my front 44, it had a really tight case, I messed with it for a couple hours, then my F-i-L wrapped a piece of 3/8 chain through the carrier and "snapped" it, that bugger jumped out of the case, I'd never seen that technique used that way before. I did have to build something like a case spreader to get it back in with all the shims.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
With the pinion, I use about 15 inlbs (D44) of preload. With the carrier, I make it as tight as possible, without messing up the shims/bearings installing them. I've seen pinion bearings burn up from too much preload, but I've never seen carrier bearings burn up. I have seen them run into problems from not enough preload, or ruin a gear set. The pinion doesn't get much oil to cool, but the carrier does.