Dinosaur tracks and such

4xforever

Howdy I'm headed to Moab Thursday to Sunday I promised my boys to show them some fossils after our guide screwed up last year they did not get to see them . I know about the one at the trail head of poison spider but would like some good directions to more we could go to in a morning. I also had somebody tellin me about a spot they could collect some north of town but I was bot able to write down the instructions

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The footprint at the PS trailhead is very well marked and easy to find. If your coming from SLC there is also a great print in the Swell along Buckhorn Draw and the quarry should be open starting pretty soon here?

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
http://geology.utah.gov/utahgeo/dinofossil/fosguide/dinotracks.htm

Moab Area Tracks and Trails
Moab Field Office
Bureau of Land Management
82 East Dogwood
Moab, UT 84532
435-259-6111

Mill Canyon Dinosaur Trail
Hours: Spring, Summer, Fall, as weather permits

Fees: None

Along this nature trail, which requires a moderate 1/2-mile hike, Morrison Formation dinosaur fossils and petrified wood may be seen in a natural setting. This outdoor museum is a bold experiment, where you, the visitor, are the protector of this valuable resource; collecting is not allowed. Only you assure that this fragile legacy is preserved so those who follow may see, learn, and enjoy. The trailhead is in Mill Canyon on a dirt road, accessible by passenger vehicle, off U.S. Highway 191, 13 miles north of Moab, Utah (near mile marker 141). For a brochure and map, contact the Moab BLM office listed above.

Sauropod Dinosaur Tracksite
Hours: Spring, Summer, Fall, as weather permits

This tracksite includes the first sauropod tracks reported in Utah. It is located in an exposure of the Salt Wash Member of the Morrison Formation north of Moab, Utah. The sauropod tracks are seen making a sharp turn to the right, a phenomenon rarely observed in fossil trackways. They are associated with theropod tracks. There are no guards or fences here. You, the visitor, are the protector of this valuable resource. The site may be reached by a 2-wheel drive dirt road off U.S. Highway 191, 23 miles north of Moab. For more information contact the Moab BLM office listed above.

Potash Road Dinosaur Tracks
Hours: Year-round access

Dinosaur tracks may be seen along the Potash Road Scenic Byway, State Highway 279, which follows the Colorado River south of Moab. The tracks are located approximately 4.5 miles along the road from its junction with Highway 191, which is 4 miles north of Moab. The tracks are visible from the road and a spotting scope is available. For better viewing, binoculars are useful, or you may hike directly up to the tracksite.

Denzel Taylor

There are tracks out on Panorama point in the maze. There used to be more than now, but since the tracks are in thin slabs of sandstone, many have walked off over the years. The road out to the tracks has been closed and is about 1/2 mile walk now. We found several tracks still there last Oct.

4xforever

Thanks for the info I do understand the great importance of keeping things the way the y are so not to ruin our future enjoyment the people that were telling me about the one that were OK to collect were in a wash is some gray material off mill creak rd some where know my boys are excited to see even 1 or 2 of em

DAA

We checked out the Mill Canyon trail mentioned above last month afte finishing Seven Mile Rim. Tons of fossilized dinosaur bones exposed. A few pics:

IMG_9519W.JPG

IMG_9522W.JPG

IMG_9524W.JPG

IMG_9529W.JPG

IMG_9533W.JPG

There are some pretty good dino tracks near the start of the Klondike Bluffs trail too (could be the one skyline posted above?).

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

We looked for the tracks in Horseshoe last spring but didn't have any luck. I suspect they are currently covered up and waiting for a flood to uncover them again.

- DAA