Direct TV dish....I guess I own one now

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have a bonus DirecTV dish on my roof. I don't need to advertise for those bloodsuckers so I want to take it down. Any idea what a good use would be for it or is it just a good target at 500 yards?

mbryson

Supporting Member
They are great if you want to setup a a second system at a different location.

Second system? Like an additional TV service?

I'm not sure our family even really needs tv service. I still need to find an NBA watching service but I'll get that figured out. We monitored for about 4 months how much programming we watched. We MIGHT have reached about $20 of value per month so we canned it when our contract was up in June. GLAD to be rid of it but need to pull the satellite dish off the roof. I'll use it for target practice after my conversations with my good friends at DirecTV unless there is some kind of cool thing I can make out of the gadget on my roof.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I just picked up an apple TV in anticipation of dumping my satellite service. I noticed they have an NBA channel on it, i'll see if you need to pay to use it

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
To watch any of the major sports on Apple TV you do need a secondary subscription. I have been pleasantly surprised however the amount of free content from "cable" channels that has popped up on it over the last few months.

I'm not sure how much NBA costs on the ATV but I'd maybe look at Sling TV. I brought it up a few months ago when it launched but still think it might be a viable option. I paid for it for a few months until college basketball ended and canceled for the summer. I'll probably start it back up in the fall for the football season.

mbryson

Supporting Member
My wife has already purchased Sling. It works ok but has ESPN (which is mostly a joke of a channel-lets turn sports into a soap opera) and some of its channels. I really am just trying to find a way to get Root Sports so I can watch the Jazz. That's more time than I have to watch anyway

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
You can donate the dish to companies like digis or the other internet providers that use radio to send signals to you... They use the dish.

Or you can throw it in your jeep for small things like catching the fluid when you have abreak down. or invert it and place under a tire for when your stuck.

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
I am looking into Roku right now. They have a ton of sports channels. I am looking into getting the roku 3 so I can use it for 3 TV's I want to say it's around $100 to buy the system.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I am looking into Roku right now. They have a ton of sports channels. I am looking into getting the roku 3 so I can use it for 3 TV's I want to say it's around $100 to buy the system.
I've got a Roku 2 XS and it's been great, I mainly use it for Netflix/Hulu, the XS has a USB port in the side that I can put a thumb drive (or I can stream from another computer if I wanted to set it up). I think the main difference was the 2 doesn't have a remote with a headphone jack in it and a little slower processor.