Directions to Mem Day Desert Mountain campout

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Ok, here is some basic info, I know that 1/4 elliptic said he is going to make up some signs and post them out there, so hopefully, we won't all get lost.

This from 1/4's post in the sticky thread.

originally posted by 1/4 elliptic toy
Basic derections are: Go to little sahara (sand mountain, jerico) desert mountain is 10 miles straight west of sand mtn, Instead of turning into the park (little sahara) go straight (west) You basicly stay on the main road go over a couple cattle guards across a creek This whole time you can see desert mtn in front of you there is a pass that goes through the north end of desert mtn(Main road) you go through the pass and into desert mtn's "valley" We will camp right along that road in the "valley" There is some old granite quarrys there we will camp in one of those.

Of course I will post sign's along the way and i will post the map when I get it done but basicly it is 35 miles straight west of nephi.

[edit]HOW ABOUT CB CHANNEL 10 FOR THIS TRIP??[/edit]

Last edited:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I'm heading out probably around 5pm. I can meet you somewhere.. Like maybe at the crossroads near lehi. We can head south past little moab, then pick up hwy 6 to head towards little sahara.

I'll pm you my number. give me a call tonight.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Ok,
I talked to 1/4 elliptic. He has run into some serious bad luck this week. His toy is really beat from his rolls in Cedar City, so that can't go. His wife is working this week, so she needs her rig. Worst of all, even his tow rig is having trouble. He still sounds like he's going to try and make it out on saturday morning with his dirt bike in his tow rig.

In the meantime, I talked to him about campsites. He gave me some directions, so I went to my topos, and came up with the following maps. The first is an overall view from hwy 6 past little sahara.

I plan on camping just south of 'Desert Mountain Pass'. 1/4 says
there are some decent campsites in that vicinity. I'll post several maps, so hopefully, you'll be able to find us.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
How about we meet at the turn off where you would go to Little Sahara.. That's about 3-5 miles off the highway.

My Cell # is 518-6454

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
OK, to get more detail, I had to make 3 printouts. Look to the left edge of map 1 and connect to map 2. Then from the left edge of map 2, connect to map 3.

MAP 1

Attachments

• desert mountain route to camp 1.jpg
    desert mountain route to camp 1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 64

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Shawn
Nice!!

You can see there is some overlap on the maps, so you should be able to print them out and overlap to get a single map.

I'm going to bring my Utah Atlas and Gazateer, as well as print out plenty of high resolution topos of the area.

I'm going to try and reach spence to find out when he is heading down.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by BlackSheep

ok, what time? 630pm?? It will take me about 2 hours to get there.

If not 630, then say when.

I'm not going to be able to leave until 6pm ish,, So find a good spot. I have 40 ++ feet of camper and trailer. :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by rockkrawler
How tough is desert Mountain What is there to play with out there????

I've never been there before, but from what I understand, it's like Little Moab..... but about 100 times bigger. I've seen pics in the past of some sick Granite rock. It's about as tough as you want it to be.

Come on out, atleast for a day!

I think there's a pic of Parker in Desert Mtn on here somewhere.... I'll find it.

attachment.php

There ya go..... :D