DirecTV?

DevinB

I like traffic lights
We're moving into a condo and the programming that the HOA decided on is DirecTV. So how bad am I screwed?

Anyone know anything about DirecTV? What are my options as far as a DVR? We're looking at getting a ~40" LCD, what are the package options for HD? Do they have a DVR that records HD? Do regular channels look okay with an LCD that big?

Any other info, good/bad/otherwise is welcome. I'd love to stick with Comcast but apparently it's not an option.

Caleb

Direct TV is better than Dish and they offer a Tivo DVR (it's an actual Tivo DVR that's been branded as Direct TV) so your DVR is better than Comcasts or Dish. Regular programming will look alright. Right now we have a 37" LCD with Comcast HD package and 90% of the time we don;t watch the HD programming. Sports look FAR better in HD but everything else doesn't really stand out. Most channels aren't even in HD yet and the ones that are HD have a ton of programming that's not HD. FWIW, I don't see why you can't get Comcast. They'd never know and there is no way they blocked cable boxes from being installed...if that's the case I'd think twice about moving in there.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
We're buying the condo and we wouldn't base the decision of moving there on what programming came with it. We'd really rather not pay for cable on top of HOA fees, we don't need more bills to pay. We're just going to have to live with what it comes with!

Do you know if their Tivo can record the HD stuff? We already have a stand-alone Tivo and we really like it, but of course it doesn't record HD.

And we've had Dish Network where we've been living and can't stand it, so at least Direct TV is better than that.

So even in the HD channels there are shows that aren't HD? That's retarded.

Caleb

In order to record the HD stuff you have to get the HD specific Series 3 Tivo. Yeah, most the regular programming on the HD broadcast channels (Fox, ABC, NBC, etc) are not HD. It's way freaking annoying too because instead of getting the black bars on the top and bottom of your screen like if you watch a widescreen show on a 4:3 TV you get them on the sides. Also, sometimes you'll be watching an HD show and it goes to commercial and the commercials wont be HD so you get the bars on the sides only during the commercials. I'm not 100% sold on the HD programming as it is right now. Some of the channels rock though like Discovery HD, National Geographic HD, ESPN HD, etc.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
In order to record the HD stuff you have to get the HD specific Series 3 Tivo. Yeah, most the regular programming on the HD broadcast channels (Fox, ABC, NBC, etc) are not HD. It's way freaking annoying too because instead of getting the black bars on the top and bottom of your screen like if you watch a widescreen show on a 4:3 TV you get them on the sides. Also, sometimes you'll be watching an HD show and it goes to commercial and the commercials wont be HD so you get the bars on the sides only during the commercials. I'm not 100% sold on the HD programming as it is right now. Some of the channels rock though like Discovery HD, National Geographic HD, ESPN HD, etc.

Yeah, those black bars are annoying. So much so I disabled the 16:9 on mine and watch everything in 4:3. We don't watch movies unless it's on DVD anyway, then it's pure 1080p, so no big deal...

DevinB

I like traffic lights
What about Dish don't you like?

I hate the lag when switching channels, I hate that it doesn't have any Fox sports channels (I haven't seen a hockey game in a LONG time), and I hate when it goes into screen saver mode. When it does the screen saver and our Tivo clicks it on to record something, all it does is turn off the screen saver but not change channels so our Tivo doesn't record what it's supposed to. Oh, and the occasional black-out when the dish gets bumped or whatever.

So what all is broadcast in HD on NBC, ABC, FOX, etc? Any of the normal evening shows like 24 or House?

Caleb

So what all is broadcast in HD on NBC, ABC, FOX, etc? Any of the normal evening shows like 24 or House?

Some of the newer evening shows may be, I know Prison Break is and 24 may be but most regular evening shows aren't HD. Even the ones that are you can't tell a whole lot of difference if any at all.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I hate the lag when switching channels, I hate that it doesn't have any Fox sports channels (I haven't seen a hockey game in a LONG time), and I hate when it goes into screen saver mode. When it does the screen saver and our Tivo clicks it on to record something, all it does is turn off the screen saver but not change channels so our Tivo doesn't record what it's supposed to. Oh, and the occasional black-out when the dish gets bumped or whatever.

The lag is a satellite issue and you will have it with Direct TV, too. The rest are all install/configuration issues. Since you had install problems, the lag will be greater, because it takes longer to find the signal.

As for Fox sports, Dish has over 20 Fox sports channels...

I've been with Dish Network for like 12 years (yes, one of their first) now and the ONLY time I have lost signal is from not paying my bill on time. Then it's a 5 minute call with a CC number and it's back on before I hang up the phone. There's a reason why they've acquired over 13 million customers....

But I have to agree, the picture is so clear as it is, HD programming (for me) wasn't worth it. These are Dish Networks HD channels...

Locals HD (Fox, ABC, NBC, etc)
A&E HD
Animania HD
Discovery HD Theater
DISH Network PPV in HD
Equator HD
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
Family Room HD
Film Fest HD
Food Network HD
GamePlay HD
Gallery HD
HBO HD*
HDNet
HDNet Movies
HDNews
HGTV HD
Kung Fu HD
Monsters HD
National Geographic Channel HD*
NFL Network HD
Rave HD
Rush HD
Showtime HD*
Starz HDTV*
TNT HD
Treasure HD
Ultra HD
Universal HD
World Cinema HD
WorldSport HD

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Dish has some 30 to 35 channels in HD if you count the locals that get broadcast in HD. Even dish's 30 something channels only have HD broadcast about 80 to 85% of the time.There is nothing that can be done when the program wasn't recorded in HD .

as for Dish over Direct ,I would take Dish over Direct anytime.The other thing with Direct you are going to pay more per month because they rent their satellite space from EchoStar .Who is Echo Star you might ask well they are owned by the same company that owns Dish .So basically you are paying to lease the space on the satellite from Dish.

Oh and by the way I currently install Dish ..............................

DevinB

I like traffic lights
The lag is a satellite issue and you will have it with Direct TV, too. The rest are all install/configuration issues. Since you had install problems, the lag will be greater, because it takes longer to find the signal.

As for Fox sports, Dish has over 20 Fox sports channels...

I've been with Dish Network for like 12 years (yes, one of their first) now and the ONLY time I have lost signal is from not paying my bill on time. Then it's a 5 minute call with a CC number and it's back on before I hang up the phone. There's a reason why they've acquired over 13 million customers....

We lost the signal a few times this last winter. I had to go outside with a broom and clean the snow off the dish.

Caleb

Dish was fine till you had to either talk to a Customer service person or tried to cancel :rolleyes: I fought them for three months trying to get my $300+ credit from them. I won't ever use Dish again, even if it were free.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
as for Dish over Direct ,I would take Dish over Direct anytime.The other thing with Direct you are going to pay more per month because they rent their satellite space from EchoStar .Who is Echo Star you might ask well they are owned by the same company that owns Dish .So basically you are paying to lease the space on the satellite from Dish.

:rofl: I did not know that! I thought, because of the planned merger (one of the selling points) was so that the two would merge and then only use one satellite to broadcast the same station and since both were duplicating each other, would free up a crap load of satellite bandwidth for more things. ...Before you flame me, the merger did not happen, even though DirecTV was all for it. So much for it, they were going to finance the Ergen's because they didn't have all of the money to buy the company! ...That's how bad GM Hughes want's out of the TV business...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
We lost the signal a few times this last winter. I had to go outside with a broom and clean the snow off the dish.

That is a satellite issue. ANY satellite you have could require that. Even if it was one of the old 20' dishes that were free.

It's starting to sound like you would be happier paying 2x as much and recieving the crappy service from Comcast. Oh wait, their cable goes out a LOT more often than you having to sweep the snow off your dish... ;)

There are some things that cable does have over satellite, and one of them is the cable part. Unless that cable is broken, the signal is always there (technically speaking). Where as with a dish, you have to keep it pointed correctly and clean or the signal can be interrupted. But where the dish excels is customer service, the choices and very low cost. And BTW..The cable companies also use satellite dishes before it is turned into cable for your home.

I honestly have no preference over either, Dish or DirecTV, as I've never had DTV. However, I do know people that chose DTV over Dish in the beginning and are now Dish customers. Why that has happened, I have no idea.. but they are...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Dish was fine till you had to either talk to a Customer service person or tried to cancel :rolleyes: I fought them for three months trying to get my $300+ credit from them. I won't ever use Dish again, even if it were free.

I've never had a problem getting a live person or with billing issues. I think I have had to call them maybe 5 times in the last 12 years, though, and most of those were because of the Dish Mover program (where if you move, leave your dish, take your reciever and someone will meet you at your new house to reinstall your system - for free). JD Powers continously rates Dish better than DirecTV for customer service and support.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I understand that cleaning off the dish comes with the territory. But I've never had Comcast go out on us. And they seem to have more channels that I'd actually watch, namely FSN and Versus (didn't I already mention the hockey thing?). And they're cheaper, I can get standard Comcast for $30, maybe even free if the last cable tech was sloppy. How much is Dish/Direct TV? $40? $45?

Anyways, all this argueing is moot. I'll have Direct TV in nine days, that's how it's going to be.

So, here's what it boils down to - is it worth it to upgrade to a package with HD and a HD Tivo? Anyone have any idea how much extra it is per month to add HD channels and an HD Tivo? I know that to buy a stand-alone HD Tivo is $700 direct from Tivo. How much to rent one from Direct TV? How does their rental policy work?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I understand that cleaning off the dish comes with the territory. But I've never had Comcast go out on us. And they seem to have more channels that I'd actually watch, namely FSN and Versus (didn't I already mention the hockey thing?). And they're cheaper, I can get standard Comcast for $30, maybe even free if the last cable tech was sloppy. How much is Dish/Direct TV? $40? $45?
Basic package is $19 ;)

So, here's what it boils down to - is it worth it to upgrade to a package with HD and a HD Tivo? Anyone have any idea how much extra it is per month to add HD channels and an HD Tivo? I know that to buy a stand-alone HD Tivo is $700 direct from Tivo. How much to rent one from Direct TV? How does their rental policy work?

Like I and someone else said, the HD wasn't worth it... And I even bought their top of the line, first HD recorder on the market for $1300, and I don't have HD anymore... The standard picture/sound quality is so good out of the box anyway....

DevinB

I like traffic lights
What type of TV do you have, Wayne? Like I said earlier, I want either a 37" or 42" flat panel LCD. Anyone have experience with a flat LCD of this size on a regular Dish or Direct TV signal? How does it look? Any screen door effect or anything?