Dirt Road Miles

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
Do any of you guys keep track of the dirt road miles you drive every year? If so, what methods are you using to keep track?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yes, another forum used to have an annual contest that I have participated in over the years, since doing that I log all my trails, miles and participants

2008 - 3409.5 miles
2009 - 3396.8 miles
2010 - ~4100 miles
2011 - Bound to be a slow year :(

I log each trip when I get home. Generally I have a GPS running or its a route I have a known mileage for. Worst case I just trace the route on my topo software to come up with a number.

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
i usually track all my routes on the gps as well, and save the tracks on my laptop. i'll try tracing a few routes and see how that works. you've really been racking up the miles kurt! did you win the contest every year?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
i usually track all my routes on the gps as well, and save the tracks on my laptop. i'll try tracing a few routes and see how that works. you've really been racking up the miles kurt! did you win the contest every year?

08/09 yes, 10 they didn't have a contest but I logged my miles anyways.

sixstringsteve

that's just cool Kurt. I need to do more logging of my offroad miles, or at least log my trips so I can reflect back on the year and see what i've accomplished.

ret32

We post all of our "outdoor family adventures" (i.e. wheeling trips, highway trips, hiking trips, combinations of the afore, etc) on our family blog. I post the stats in each adventure's post, then I have a gadget near the top of the blog where I keep a cumulative total. This is what it looks like through mid-August 2010 (yes I am seriously delinquent on posting trips)

Clipboard01.jpg

As far as actually tracking the miles, I just keep an odometer log for the entire trip. Then I split out the off-road miles based on my GPS tracks, known mileages (from guidebooks or other trail reports or past experience), or trace them in mapping software.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I try to keep a mental tally of them, but I'm not good at writing them down.

Just between my 4 longer trips last year, I did probably 1800 dirt miles. I was only "co-driver" on 2 of them so I'm not sure if that even counts. I count it, because it makes me feel cool to say.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I started tracking mine this past year, mostly with GPS but since I am forgetful I didn't always turn it on. But tracing back with software I did a little under 500 miles on dirt last year. Compared with big wigs like Kurt and Cody thats nothing, but I felt pretty good about it. Perhaps I should start measuring how much height I lose through disk compression from driving a Samurai that much on rough roads. :D