Disc Conversion on Toyota Rear??

193kyle

Does anyone besides all-pro make a disc brake conversion kit for toy rear axles?? Or has anyone put together their own kit? I really want to convert mine to disc brakes but not sure if its worth $500 for the all-pro kit.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you make the brackets yourself, you can do it for probably around $100.

I know Sky manufacturing makes the brackets also, and I think they put together their own kit too.

I certainly wouldn't spend $500 for one, since typically the stock drums actually work pretty well.

myota

my toyota
the only reason I would want to convert to disks would be to convert to full floater...it'd be nice to have rear hubs to turn to free for flat towing.

bruzer

Keep in mind that if you convert to disc brakes you need to change your master cylinder as well. Most people use the one from the fj80 land cruiser. The valves inside the stock master was not originally set up for disk, therefor it will not apply the right amount of pressure to the rear brakes.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I have made my own rear disc setup on a toyota using chevy calipers and rotors and made my own brackets. I had to get the axle mounting surface machined down so it would fit in the rotor. I didn't change out the master cylinder and the rears would lock up before the fronts.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have made my own rear disc setup on a toyota using chevy calipers and rotors and made my own brackets. I had to get the axle mounting surface machined down so it would fit in the rotor. I didn't change out the master cylinder and the rears would lock up before the fronts.

That's the same setup I used. You can also have the center hole of the GM disks machined out, rather than machining the axle. (either way works, just depends on which way you want to go)

I just used a 1" bore master, found on later ('90-ish+) trucks, V6 trucks, and some Land Cruisers. The stock 13/16" bore MC worked, but had a really low pedal.

I had the same problem with the rears locking up first, so I added an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line so I could dial down the amount of braking in the rear so they WOULDN'T lock up so quickly.

leorn

reset
if i wanted rear discs that bad I would buy a newer toy complete with selctable locker and discs. saw one for $600 the other day complete.

but my good old drums stop me just fine.

full float would be nice though