Dixie NF, Cedar City R.D, Any good sites for info?

Xiled1

Are there any good websites for information on hiking trails around Cedar City? We've got this great resource here in AZ for hikes so I'm hoping there is something similar for UT.

We intend to do some car camping in the area and would like some nice loop hikes. Bonus if its around water.

Whats the camping like around Navajo or Panguitch lakes? Crowded? Campsites only or good dispersed camping?

I'd really like to find a nice water hike in the Ceday City area, that was not too crowded. All the ones I came across are very popular or in Zion NP.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Lots to see in the Cedar City area. Hiking, there is the "C" trail, and Rocky Peak (Three Peaks). Hikes that are in water are Kanarraville Falls, and Spring creek. Kanarraville falls is very popular, due to it's length, Spring creek is less popular but just as nice. They are both accessed via the town of Kanarraville. Navajo gets a bit crowded in the summer, but there are numerous campgrounds in the area.

http://www.scenicsouthernutah.com/
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/cedar_city.html
http://www.fs.usda.gov/dixie

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've camped at Navajo Lake a couple times in the past and didn't notice too many people. We were there mid week though so I'm not sure how the weekends were. We are headed to the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar the last week in July and I'm planning to drive in through Cedar Breaks and make a short stop at Navajo Lake again. Its so pretty.

Xiled1

I like the sound of Spring Creek, but the writeups made it sound like it would be dry during the summer. Probably worth checking out though. Might try to hit up Kanaaraville falls early in the morning to avoid the crowds. Thanks for the info.

Hope to make it over to one of the lakes as well.

In case anyone ever heads to AZ for some hiking, this is by far the best resource. It takes a while to understand how to navigate the site, but the wealth of info is incredible. There are sections for other states (including UT) but they don't have as much info.

www.hikearizona.com

Last edited:

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I like the sound of Spring Creek, but the writeups made it sound like it would be dry during the summer. Probably worth checking out though. Might try to hit up Kanaaraville falls early in the morning to avoid the crowds. Thanks for the info.

I would also suggest the Rock Corral near Millford. Lots of cool hiking, bouldering, rock climbing out that way as well.

Xiled1

Thanks, the area looks cool, but I'm not sure if its cool enough for summer camping. East of Cedar City looks to have more shade and higher elevations for better summer temps.

The areas around Blowhard Mtn, Cedar Breaks, and north to Brian Head all look to have some topography. Looks like there might be a chance to find some running creeks to explore in the area. I'm thinking of starting in the Kanaaravile area, then working our way north through Cedar Breaks and Brian Head, then maybe a day at one of the lakes.

Its all NF land, but are there a lot of private islands mixed in? Seem to come across a few on google.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Yeah, there is quite a mix of private and NF lands. Up near Duck Creek is Mammoth cave, its definitely worth checking out.

Rottenbelly

I stink.
I just did Kanaraville falls, mammoth caves, najavo lake when I was home this month. All awesome trips.
Did them with my kids and they loved them all.
I use All trails app on andriod. Has a ton of trails on it.

Also a short waterfall hike right close to Navajo lake.

Caleb

We just did Kanarraville Falls trail two weekends ago, its was great. An in and out, total about 5.5-6 miles. Not knowing the popularity of the trail, we did it on a Saturday. We were on the trail just before 8 and it was awesome, only one other guy that we saw on the way in. On the way out, the hordes started. There were times we waited 5-10 minutes for groups to pass so we could get across different water crossings or sections of trail. It was ridiculous. If it wasn't as gorgeous as it was, it would have ruined the trail for me, but the way in was an absolute blast. I use All Trails on my iPhone and on the computer to plan trails. It's nice because on your phone, it will show you any trails in the area you are currently in. We used it a ton when we were recently in Maui to find some good hikes. Here's a link to my track from Kanarraville Falls. you can keep going beyond where we stopped, but my wife fell on the way up and banged her knee pretty good so we got to the waterfall with logs going up it. I climbed them but she didn't have the strength in her knee so we called it and turned around. My advice, if you do this one, get on the trail early (by 7 would probably be good) and do it on a weekday.

Couple pics from the trail: